Question Can't boot linux (or any other OS) from USB on my RDP Thinbook *Help Please*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2020
So I bought this new weird notebook for my daily purposes and it has Windows 10 installed on it.
The specs are:

CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8350 CPU @ 1.44GHz 1.44GHz
Memory(RAM): 2.00 GB
GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics
System type: 32-bit Operating System, x64 based processor (Windows 10)

I know the specs are awful but this is just a daily purpose laptop which I sometimes use to code somethings on it using Notepad++. so as you could see the specs are horrible and windows 10 on this thing is just a nightmare, so I am considering installing Linux which is much lighter and I am more comfortable with it.
Though the problem is even though i set the boot priority to my USB flash drive, it just doesn't boot from there, there are no legacy or CSM or UEFI settings in my bios, the secure boot is off, the fast boot is off, it just doesn't boot from my USB drive (i used it on my other laptop and it works and boots fine). You might say that the problem might be because you are trying to boot Linux and I have to say I even tried windows 10 and it doesn't boot that as well. I tried other USB ports and the ports work just fine when I connect them. There is an EFI shell that i can boot into but I don't know how to use it to my advantage. Also, there is a Fixed Boot Order Priority option just above the boot order priority option which I cannot change anything from it. Any ideas on how can I boot Linux on this device?

Pictures from BIOS settings:

Boot menu (NOTE: I cannot change the Fixed Boot Order but i can change the normal Boot Order Priority)

This is Security settings in BIOS

Security settings keys

Even when I select USB from boot menu

Please help me...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

when you try to boot from the USB, are you shutting down windows properly? windows 10 needs to be told that you are going to be booting from USB before it will release the boot process and allow the computer to boot from USB.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...eF9Y__USXzgm-eUcmP48aJ6OH8kWOn0MPc6Hwm3JjR-Yw

this is one of windows 10 more annoying features if you ask me. I hope this helps you out.

Aug 10, 2020
Welcome to the forums :D

when you try to boot from the USB, are you shutting down windows properly? windows 10 needs to be told that you are going to be booting from USB before it will release the boot process and allow the computer to boot from USB.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...eF9Y__USXzgm-eUcmP48aJ6OH8kWOn0MPc6Hwm3JjR-Yw

this is one of windows 10 more annoying features if you ask me. I hope this helps you out.
Nah, already tried these, i literally click on the USB option and again it boots into windows automatically. i dont know what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.