Can't boot: no POST, fans stay on at full speed and screen stays blank

steezo

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
PC cannot boot.
After pressing the power button, the all the fans light up and run at full speed, but the display is blank and nothing happens. This continues until I hold down the power button to power the system off. Interestingly, unplugging my 8-pin atx12v cable from the motherboard produces the same problem as when it is plugged in, which leads me to believe the PSU is at fault.

This problem first occurred about a week ago, when the PC just cut out, and restarted itself immediately and then did what I've just described.

I took it to be repaired, and it came back with just the battery having been replaced. It worked for a day or two until today when it randomly cut out and did the same thing.

Before I sent it to be repaired, I did some troubleshooting, with varying degrees of success:
- Booted without nonessential components (GPU, HDD, peripherals etc): didn't change anything
- Switched around the RAM (I have 2×4gb): after trying numerous combinations, the PC's fans and all went full speed as I described, but then after a few seconds of this seemed to click, restart, and then boot fine. I was able to use the computer normally for about 5 mins before it cut out again and the same problem prevented it from booting again.
- Tried a friend's fully working stick of RAM, after removing my two: didn't help at all, PC lit up and fans ran at full speed but no display or POST
- Randomly decided to try boot up without the 8-pin PSU atx12v cable connected to the motherboard. INTERESTING: this resulted in the exact same problem: fans spin up and light up but no display, POST or beeps!

Thus it seems like the atx12v input isn't receiving power. I believe this means the PSU would be at fault. Can someone confirm this before I buy a new PSU?

Thank you for your time.

Specs:
motherboard: ASROCK H87m
PSU : Gigabyte GZ-EHS60A-C2

steezo

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
FASCINATING NEW DEVELOPMENT: after contemplating the idea that the problem could be the PSU, or perhaps even just the PSU atx12v cable, I tried twisting, shaking, wikkeling, wobbling and shocking (don't worry not with electricity - I just suddenly shouted "I'M PREGNANT") the PSU in order to get it to come to its senses. The first time I did this, it started whirring its fans at normal speed, reset itself with a click, then started again and passed the POST! I went into the Bios when it asked, pretended to change some settings, then exited discarding changes, and it restarted. Upon its restart, it couldn't boot, so I shut it off and tried wobbling the cabling coming out of the PSU again, then powered it on again. It worked again this time, so I didn't go into the Bios, and it loaded up Windows fine.

What should I do now that I have it working and know how to get it on again? Is there perhaps a PSU testing utility I should try?