Question Can't boot off hard disk

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I stopped using hard disks in favour of SSD's. However after a problems with windows and unable to get windows re-installed on one SSD, I installed it on the internal Hard Disk. The problem is I can't boot from it unless I hit F8 every time I boot up

Hitting del at boot up gives me
ATAPI CD-ROM
SATA: 3M-DANDISK SSD PLUS 480GB

hitting F8 gives me an additional
SATA 4M-WDC WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 (the hard disk)

Why can't I select SATA 4M-WDC WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 for booting up?

TIA

Desmond.

I stopped using hard disks in favour of SSD's. However after a problems with windows and unable to get windows re-installed on one SSD, I installed it on the internal Hard Disk. The problem is I can't boot from it unless I hit F8 every time I boot up

Hitting del at boot up gives me
ATAPI CD-ROM

hitting F8 gives me an additional
SATA 4M-WDC WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 (the hard disk)

Why can't I select SATA 4M-WDC WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 for booting up?

TIA

Desmond.
Did you set HDD as default BOOT disk in BIOS ?

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
What he meant by bios, there's boot options in there and probably you have it set to another thing besides your harddrive.
Check your boot order in the bios first and that should fix your problem.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
The boot order in the bios does not have the hard disk in it's list of devices to boot from as I said from the start.

Hitting del at boot up to give me the bios setup gives me
ATAPI CD-ROM

I do not see SATA 4M-WDC WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 (the hard disk) in the bios as an option.

I said it clearly. The only way I can start up the PC is by hitting F8 every time.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I did not think this was a difficult question. I can't boot off the hard disk because the hard disk is not listed in the bios setup under the boot menu. It only appears when I hit F8 on the splash screen.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well, I've been playing with computers for around 7 years now.
But I have never come across such a problem before, so I can't be helping you from now on.
Usually, a hard drive not showing up in bios means either it's dead or about to die, but from what you said is you can boot when you hit F8 key.
Other options you have if you didn't do that already, contact your motherboard support and see if they can help you with it.
Hopefully, someone else will be able to help you, good luck.