[SOLVED] Can't Boot On New SSD

Crazy_Steve

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I used to operate on a 1TB HDD and a 500GB 860 EVO. Well, then one day my HDD died and I was left with my EVO, now I've finally bought more storage and I decided on a WD Black SN750.
Well as we might all know, installing one of these drives isn't the hardest thing. After installation, the drive is recognized by my system, I can select to boot off the drive and I can edit files on the new drive that I cloned from my current drive using Acronis. However, when I attempt to boot off of the drive I get past the initial black Windows loading screen with the white Windows logo and the whole rotating dots all I receive after that is a black screen and the speed of my fans increasing and decreasing. If I move my mouse in this screen I can see my cursor for a few seconds before it disappears and that's about all that seems to happen at this point, it's just this black screen and that's about it.

I should mention- when everyone was given the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, I took it, at the time this was when I was operating on my HDD, so I technically have an illegitimate version of Windows 10 Pro on my current 500GB EVO, I'm guessing that attempting to clone this version from my EVO to the SN750 could be my problem, however, I don't really have any real information to back up that theory.

Apologies if any more information need be provided, I'll do my best to provide more as I'm told what's needed lol.
Thank you for your time in advance

Solution
Upgrading to Win 10, and then clone/migrate that to a new drive in the same system is not "illegitimate ".

At the end of the clone process, did you verify that the system boots up from the new drive by itself?
As in...physically disconnecting the old drive(s), and booting from only the new one?

USAFRet

Titan
Upgrading to Win 10, and then clone/migrate that to a new drive in the same system is not "illegitimate ".

At the end of the clone process, did you verify that the system boots up from the new drive by itself?
As in...physically disconnecting the old drive(s), and booting from only the new one?

Solution

Crazy_Steve

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Apologies, I state that it's "Illegitimate," because Windows doesn't allow me access to certain personalization features and tells me to "Activate Windows," I even had the "Activate Windows in your settings" watermark in the bottom right of my monitor for a while before following some method I don't remember to get rid of it.
I haven't tried disconnecting the EVO drive, I assume this is the part where you direct me to try that and booting solely and entirely off of the SN750.

USAFRet

Titan
Apologies, I state that it's "Illegitimate," because Windows doesn't allow me access to certain personalization features and tells me to "Activate Windows," I even had the "Activate Windows in your settings" watermark in the bottom right of my monitor for a while before following some method I don't remember to get rid of it.
I haven't tried disconnecting the EVO drive, I assume this is the part where you direct me to try that and booting solely and entirely off of the SN750.
Ah.
Was there a motherboard change in here at any time?

"This PC", right click, Properties.
At the bottom of that window, does it say "Windows is Activated"?
If so...not illegitimate.

Crazy_Steve

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Ah.
Was there a motherboard change in here at any time?

"This PC", right click, Properties.
At the bottom of that window, does it say "Windows is Activated"?
If so...not illegitimate.

I've had the watermark since my previous motherboard and months ago I upgraded to a 300 series board for a 9600k, but yes there was also a MB upgrade, according to properties and the activation tab, Windows hasn't been activated.
"We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. If you think you do have a valid license or key, select Troubleshoot below. Error code: 0xC004C003"
of course along with properties stating the same thing.

Last edited:

Crazy_Steve

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Does this help in any way?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

NOTE: This is completely different than your booting issues.

I think I'm learning that no matter how many hoops I jump through trying to find a Microsoft account that has a digital license associated with it, I can't, I can find two separate product keys too which boggles my mind lol. In the activation tab I can view the last five characters of one key, then when following any method to see my whole key, I get an entirely different key. Which leads me to believe the key I see is from Windows 8.1
EDIT: TL : DR I can't seem to do anything to activate Windows besides buy another key (I think)

Crazy_Steve

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Correct.
Activation status does not affect booting up.
That is almost certainly due to whatever you did with the clone operation.
I'm literally just opening even recommended software by WD, selecting a source disk, destination disk, and hitting the clone button. And I've done even that when the SN750 was first installed, not quite sure what the problem is : /
Incase you don't have anything else to suggest thanks for the help anyway, really appreciate having helpful people like you around