[SOLVED] Can't boot or enter BIOS on Dell Precision T3610 Server ?

bobbybenassi

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
(I hope this is the correct forum category)

I picked up a Dell T3610 for free recently. Threw in a new cheap GT1030 GPU because the server itself doesnt have a monitor output. I attached an SSD. Fired it up and couldnt get a picture. I removed the battery for a few hours. Jumped the RTCRST pins. I pushed the power button and finally it started sending signal to the monitor. It shows the graphics card PNY text at the top, then the Dell logo. I press F2 and a loading bar appears. At the top right it says "Preparing to start setup". Then it immediately goes to the flashing cursor/underscore. I get the same outcome when pressing F2, F8 and F12.

I have tried the same process with only 1 RAM stick in, no sticks in, and with no SSD.

I have uploaded a video for a visual of what happens.
View: https://youtu.be/X7gV6dJjvOM

Any ideas or suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance.

Solution
Try a new CMOS battery

Get the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and double check all installations and connections.

Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM stick be installed in a specific slot.

What OS is installed on the SSD? (Note: your wording said "attached" - are you trying to boot via a USB port?

Ralston18

Titan
Try a new CMOS battery

Get the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and double check all installations and connections.

Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM stick be installed in a specific slot.

What OS is installed on the SSD? (Note: your wording said "attached" - are you trying to boot via a USB port?

Solution

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Adding to Ralston18, you may need to use a PS2 keyboard (seems unlikely as it was shipped with USB keyboard and mouse), or use different USB ports as may not work to access the BIOS from the USB 3 ports, only in the USB 2 ports. If it has a RAID card installed, some can be finicky, so remove it.

According to the spec sheet, this is a Workstation not a server, and it was shipped with a workstation class graphics card originally.

https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocument...nts/en/us/Dell_Precision_T3610_Spec_Sheet.pdf