Can't boot, reset, or revert to past build.

mattbrissey

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
The other day my computer stopped responding to me doing pretty much anything. I restarted it and now it and. is when I boot up it tries auto repair but doesn't work. I've ran chkdsk c: /r /x and /scannow and that didn't do anything. nothing in the forums I've found has worked for me. I'm considering just fresh installing with a Windows flash drive but I'm hoping there's another way around this

Solution
do you have an ssd or hdd? chkdsk /r won't do anything on a ssd as it has no physical sectors to repair. chkdsk /f is best choice.

is there anything on C you can't afford to lose? Are you booting off an installer usb to run the scans? If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

try this:
I inserted my windows installation disk and opened the command prompt. I typed notepad in which obviously opened the notepad. From there I went to file > open which opened a file explorer. I plugged an external hard drive into my USB port, and I searched for all of my most irreplaceable files and copied them onto the external drive

Another back up option is: try making...

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you have an ssd or hdd? chkdsk /r won't do anything on a ssd as it has no physical sectors to repair. chkdsk /f is best choice.

is there anything on C you can't afford to lose? Are you booting off an installer usb to run the scans? If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

try this:
I inserted my windows installation disk and opened the command prompt. I typed notepad in which obviously opened the notepad. From there I went to file > open which opened a file explorer. I plugged an external hard drive into my USB port, and I searched for all of my most irreplaceable files and copied them onto the external drive

Another back up option is: try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ (Can use a live USB as well)

Your choices look numbered, running a start up repair might fix it (is in advanced menu).

Did scannow find any problems? where did you run it from? Safe mode or cmd?

If you can get into safe mode we could try to run a dism scan and try to fix reset (though chances are it needs source info and this gets complicated as you would need to be on the current version of win 10 for it to work.... do you happen to know if you on Fall Creators edition?)

to run simple diism scan, (this is in safe mode)
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type:Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter (spaces need to match or it won't work)
DISM cleans image files, so after running you can try a reset again. If it asks for source and you not on latest version of Win 10 then the only real fix is a clean install

Solution