Can't boot, seriously no one can fix this?

EverythingInane

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
This seems simple enough but everything I've tried has failed.

Synopsis: Windows 7 will no longer boot: BSoD

I'm running a dual boot computer: Windows 7 64bit & Windows XP. (this is not the issue, dual boot has always worked fine, but hopefully the fact I'm dual booting will allow me some tricks to fix this?)
I am typing this on the XP side, which boots fine.

I did not install any hardware or software, I think I just got a virus that messed up the booting.

here is BSoD upon boot:

Everything below is the various fixes I've tried and their outcomes: (I probably did more but can't remember)
please don't suggest something without checking to see if I tried it?

-sfc /scannow - will not scan, says system repair pending
-chkdsk - no problems detected
-replaced classpnp.sys in system32/drivers (last file startup loads before BSoD) - no change
-ran startup repair - failed, says "startup repair offline"
-tried starting windows in every mode listed under the f8 menu (safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, etc) - fail, fail, fail
-ran system restore and system image recovery - didn't help boot and no longer gives me any more restore points or options when I try again
-tried going into BIOS and changing to ACHI mode, or anything similar. Couldn't find any such setting in BIOS. (Don't really know where to look)
-ran windows memory diagnostic from RE - everything fine
-ran fixmbr and fixboot command - can't remember outcome (think they completed successfully)

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
EDIT: disregard that. derp I just realized that it was a link, not the cause of the BSOD. it's been a long day.

It obviously can't be an inherent hardware issue with the HDD since your other partition is booting, unless it's on a separate drive.

that STOP code is usually linked to device driver, but if it's not booting in safe mode either that seems odd.

when you ran your checkdisk did you force it with Chkdsk /p or did you just do chkdsk?

EverythingInane

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Oh, I should mention I'm trying to avoid total reinstall of windows, what with all the hassle of moving all my files and reinstalling lots of programs

There is only one Harddrive, with two partitions, Windows 7 is on C:

I believe I ran chkdsk /f /r I could go try /p but will it matter since it checked out fine anyways?

EverythingInane

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
mm.. not sure, I read everything and basically understood it to be all fine, no space in bad sectors, etc.

It did 3 different scans, I think, and I swore I tried it another time with a different command (/f, /r) and it did a far deeper and longer scan but still came out fine.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
if you typed checkdisk and it showed you 1, 2, 3% done etc. then it did the checkdisk, if it just spits out a line of text that says something about how the drive doesn't really need to be checked, I wish i could be more specific but i always just automatically run Chkdsk /p

It sounds like the scan ran then if it took more than a few seconds. The /p parameter doesn't do anything different, just forces it to run even if the drive looks OK to the checkdisk.

EverythingInane

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
yes, then yes it did the scan/s. I really really don't think there's a problem with the harddrive at any rate, I've been using the XP side for days with lots of files and programs. Actually, firefox has been acting peculiar in loading pictures and pages sometimes. But I ran a virus scan and it appears to be all clean.

EverythingInane

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
PJ, do you know exactly how I change it to IDE mode once in the BIOS? I couldn't find a setting. I believe my manufacturer is ASUS, I don't know if BIOS are generally the same structure or anything..

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
If you want to avoid a reinstall you could do a repair install, nothing gets deleted and the OS data gets moved to windows.old. it's pretty dirty but it'll get you back on the road.

I know it's not a solution, just a suggestion. I'd dig around a bit more but i have to go for a while and won't be back for a few hours.

EverythingInane

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I can't do repair/upgrade install, when I boot from the disk, it tells me I have to start windows first, and then perform the repair/upgrade - that it can't be run from the windows 7 boot environment

EverythingInane

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Ok I have "phoenix awardbios" I've searched all over google but there is little information on how to change SATA to IDE or AHCI or ANYTHING. I'll go look one more time and see if there's a setting to turn off autodetect or disable something and see if more options show up. really annoyed that I can't just find how to change a simple setting in BIOS on the internet...

EverythingInane

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

How am I to run that? I tried running it on command prompt, but it needs to be opened with something, I'm guessing explorer.exe or something, which won't run in the RE.

I tried running it on my XP side, but it's not made for it, so wouldn't run, not to mention even if it did, I wouldn't expect it to change anything but on the XP side, not the 7 side.

I don't understand why they make all these boot fix solutions that can only be run within a successfully booted environment? :ouch:

Is there some sort of windows 7 bootable OS I can get? Would that enable me to do this?

EverythingInane

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

I believe regedit can be run from the RE. But ehh.. I'm kinda scared of screwing something up. I'll try the steps mentioned in that link posted above you, if it looks like something i can just change back if it doesn't work.

EverythingInane

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
aughhh, can't I just - since I have dual boot - switch out the whole startup directory or something? Or does it really seem like the BIOS or registry related to BIOS mode got changed and it can't access startup at all? If so, why does it display loading numerous startup files before crashing?

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
It might be the bios, as to why it would just suddenly change itself, I can't say. It could be either.

Worst that happens is you have to do a reinstall. Just make a folder on your XP machine (unless you have a shared third partition with your user files on it) and back your shizz up. It might take part of a day but it'd be fixed. It's looking more and more like the hassle of reloading software would be far outweighed by digging for a fix and pulling your hair out.

I'd say if you really can't find that option in the BIOS, try to edit that stuff from the recovery enviroment, it's not like you can break it any MORE than it already is.