Can't boot SSD Windows 7 with RAID 0?

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I recently purchased a 64GB WD SSD to use as a boot disk and I am using two 500GB WD Green drives in a RAID 0 setup.

I installed the OS on the SSD and all went well. I then set the BIOS to RAID and created a RAID 0 setup with the two 500GB drives. It will not boot into the OS any longer, though.

If I switch the BIOS back to AHCI or IDE it will boot without a hitch, but as soon as I turn on RAID it will not boot at all.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? I am using a Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3 board and have the latest firmware installed.

Dockland

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

I think you have to set up raid before installing OS.

Dockland

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Obviously wrong of me. I should have read it again. If you have the OS on a single ssd and raid 0 on the two other disks, it should work.
Is it intel drive? Then you might try Intel SSD Toolbox

Check these things:

1). BIOS settings: boot to SSD first? Should have option for SSD and RAID drives as first drive?

2). SATA ports: SSD on port 0 or 1 (whichever is first)? And other ones on 2 and 3 (next 2 port)? :bounce:

3). RAID settings: make sure SSD in NOT in the array.

#2 might be the problem.

Let us know. :hello:

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I have double checked everything, except the connections. I know for sure that the SSD is connected via SATA port 0, as far as the RAID array I believe they are on 3 and 4 and my burner on 2. I will check this again, though.

It is definitely set to boot from SSD, and the SSD is definitely not in the array.

It seems so odd, that I can boot with RAID turned off, I turn it on and then I can't boot. Nothing else is changing, and the SSD is set for first boot device. It's driving me nuts!

I will keep messing around.

chaps322

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Did you ever have luck with this Christopher? I'm having an identical issue, also on a Gigabyte motherboard. (EP45-UD3P). I'd be curious if you were able to solve the problem.

ame1011

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I Have the exact same issue.

SSD with Operating System connected through the Marvel Controller.

2WD drives on the Intel Controller in Raid.

When Raid is enabled, I cannot boot from SSD. I disable it and everything boots as it should.

pa0nhc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

========================
pa0nhc:
Your set of regualar SATA connections can only work !OR! in AHCI mode !OR! in raid mode. So only ONE type of setup is possible. SSD-"trim" works in W7 with AHCI mode. So an SSD HAS to be on a ahci connection.
Conclusion: If your SSD+Windows7 is connected to the regular SATA connections and installed in AHCI mode, the raid0 driveset cannot be connected anymore to the regular SATA connections, because all the regular SATA connections now are in "ahci"mode.
=-> If you want W7 installed on a ahci-drive and your data-drive setup in raid, you need a motherboard equipped with a SECOND SEPARATE set of two SATA connections, controlled by a SEPARATE (Marvell) RAID controller. <-=
I have an ASUS P5QC board.
Then:
Connect the SSD on a regular SATA connection (together with your DVD drives and eSATA connection).
Connect the set of two data drives to the SEPARATE two (Marvel) SATA connections.
In your BIOS:
Setup the regular SATA connections as AHCI.
Goto the screen with the Marvel controller and setup to RAID 0 or 1, and activate the driveset.
==-->> Dont forget !! (otherwise your drive will still be INvisible in explorer !!)
In W7 explorer rightclick on "Computer", click "Management, Diskmanagement".
Identify your new RAID0 drive.
RightClick on the large righthand window of that drive. Click "Properties".
Do the following (the order could be different) :
Format the drive.
==-->> !! ASSIGN A DRIVELETTER !! (f.i. D:) <<--==
Assign a drive name (f.i. DATA)
Make the partition active.

Ready (if all is gone well).

I searched myself dull untill i understood to use separate sets SATA connections. All seemed OK, but explorer did not see the raid drive -> ?????
After days i discovered that i did forget to assign the driveletter. DUMMY.

Nico.

digitalraven

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
DO you still need to install the intel raid drivers before installing the OS on the SSD even so that the raid setup will work properly on the marvell ports? or is this a thing of the past with windows 7?

thanks.

Have you tried Microsoft's solution? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Once it works in AHCI mode, you can switch the controller to RAID mode and install Intel RST.