Question Can't boot to old hard drive.

dizhydron

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
Hello!

I just build a rig from scratch. The only parts I'm carrying over from the old rig is a Sansdisk Ultra 1tb SATA SSD and a GPU.

The new rig runs on the Aorus Z490 master motherboard. I purchased an M.2 through Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVME 4.0.

What I want to do is get the set up of my old SATA SSD onto the M.2 SSD since I have a really complex software set up that would take weeks to replicate again. The problem is, while my BIOS can detect that the device is connected, it can't boot to it.

I installed windows 10 onto the M.2 thinking I might be able to do it that way but I'm not sure how.

Is there any way to copy all data from a SATA hard drive onto an M.2 while running windows on the M.2 itself? If not, anyone have an idea why I can't boot to my SATA drive? Or any other solution?

Lutfij

Titan
First off, cloning the drive before the migration would've been your first option. Second, most cloned system's often end up being buggy to the point where reinstalling the OS from scratch and the app's would've been a more resourceful effort. Besides a platform change in itself warrants a reinstall of the OS so the cloning process would've been a failure.

You might want to see if the older SSD is showing up in Disk Manager. Also, it won't boot to it since the chipset drivers will all be different from the new platform.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS