[SOLVED] can't boot windows 10 after fresh install

Osaidaz

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,
just installed windows 10, I still have my old windows 8, but it's installed on different hard drive.
when I try to boot windows 10, it gets stuck on my asus motherboard logo forever, first time, it booted fine, after I restarted my pc the second time, it gets suck forever.
any suggestion?

0zyv1vj6fwz51.jpg

Solution
I have 2 HDD drives , 1 TB and 4 TB and 2 SSD drive, 120 GB (old windows 8.1 installed here) and 1TB (new windows 10 installed here)
Assuming you have the license key for your 8.1 written down, I strongly suggest a fresh install of Win 10 on the 1TB SSD.
Follow the link above, and have ALL drives except that one disconnected.

USAFRet

Titan
When you installed Win 10, was the other drive still connected?
If it was, redo the Win 10 install, with ONLY the desired drive connected.

Osaidaz

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
When you installed Win 10, was the other drive still connected?
If it was, redo the Win 10 install, with ONLY the desired drive connected.

what if I just upgrade my old win 8.1 to win 10, should I still disconnect all the drive? I don't like to touch hardware!

Nov 18, 2020
what if I just upgrade my old win 8.1 to win 10, should I still disconnect all the drive? I don't like to touch hardware!
Not having multiple windows versions when installing windows is preferable, but upgrading as you're saying right now should maybe be easier? Idk because I've never done it. Just remember that upgrading to the next version requires having activated windows, learnt that the hard way after an hour of installing win 10 on my win 7 laptop.

Nov 18, 2020
My parts list below - 7 drives. All SSD.
And the 12 drives in or attached to my NAS. ~50TB.
Yeah I read your parts list before but didn't pay much attention to it, damn that's a lot! What do you do with all that space? That's one hella big "Homework" folder.
Kinda funny how you upgraded your space that much but not your cpu or your gpu. I don't mean this in some sort of mean way, just find it interesting.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah I read your parts list before but didn't pay much attention to it, damn that's a lot! What do you do with all that space? That's one hella big "Homework" folder.
They were gathered over time.
But each one has its own function.
OS/applications
Photo
CAD/video
games
Dev projects and VMs
scratch space and plugins for above applications

The NAS holds a months worth of backups from all the house systems, movie and music lib (and backups of those), 30 days of recorded video from the house security cameras, etc, etc...

Nov 18, 2020
They were gathered over time.
But each one has its own function.
OS/applications
Photo
CAD/video
games
Dev projects and VMs
scratch space and plugins for above applications

The NAS holds a months worth of backups from all the house systems, movie and music lib (and backups of those), 30 days of recorded video from the house security cameras, etc, etc...
"The NAS holds a months worth of backups from all the house systems" Explains the image in your description underneath each reply. Also you must really like Samsung

USAFRet

Titan
"The NAS holds a months worth of backups from all the house systems" Explains the image in your description underneath each reply. Also you must really like Samsung
Too many people only think about saving their data, 5 minutes after it is too late. We see that here every single day.

And I've had occasion to use that. A dead drive, 100% recovered in the state it was at 4AM that morning, when it ran its nightly backup.
960GB SSD with 605GB data on it. Without that backup, irreplaceable files/pics would have been lost.

Nov 18, 2020
Too many people only think about saving their data, 5 minutes after it is too late. We see that here every single day.

And I've had occasion to use that. A dead drive, 100% recovered in the state it was at 4AM that morning, when it ran its nightly backup.
960GB SSD with 605GB data on it. Without that backup, irreplaceable files/pics would have been lost.
Well seeing as I have the chance to talk to someone that knows a lot about PC parts (like damn so many medals! you've helped tons of people) I'm not sure whether to get a used i5-9400F (for 100€ish) or a used i5-9600K (130€ish), knowing that I don't care about the integrated graphics in the slightest. I'm upgrading from an i7-860 these holidays so I know I'll definitely be noticing a difference. In case it matters for bottleneck reasons, I'm using a GTX 1060 3GB
Thanks a lot in advance!

USAFRet

Titan
Well seeing as I have the chance to talk to someone that knows a lot about PC parts (like damn so many medals! you've helped tons of people) I'm not sure whether to get a used i5-9400F (for 100€ish) or a used i5-9600K (130€ish), knowing that I don't care about the integrated graphics in the slightest. I'm upgrading from an i7-860 these holidays so I know I'll definitely be noticing a difference. In case it matters for bottleneck reasons, I'm using a GTX 1060 3GB
Thanks a lot in advance!
Either one would be fine.
And you'll need a new motherboard and RAM to go with it.

Osaidaz

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
Assuming you have the license key for your 8.1 written down, I strongly suggest a fresh install of Win 10 on the 1TB SSD.
Follow the link above, and have ALL drives except that one disconnected.
Hi, sorry one question, should unplug the power cable for the other drives? or just unplug the sata cable (red one) ?