[SOLVED] Can't boot windows 10 off NVME after swapping my motherboard

Cyberpunk3

Honorable
May 27, 2017
Ive just rebuilt my PC from an Aorus X570 to an Aorus X570 i, and it is failling to boot windows off my NVMe drove despite the fact it is recognising the drive exists in the BIOS.

I've looked around for solutions and cant find anything useful, I really don't want to format this NVMe to get it to boot properly either

Edit: Problems cause was my boot partition being on a SSD that was not plugged in

Last edited:
Solution
Ive just rebuilt my PC from an Aorus X570 to an Aorus X570 i, and it is failling to boot windows off my NVMe drove despite the fact it is recognising the drive exists in the BIOS.

I've looked around for solutions and can't find anything useful, I really don't want to format this NVMe to get it to boot properly either
Swapping motherboards and it fails to boot....the likely cause is the different motherboard.

Your 2 boards don't seem that far apart, but if it fails, it fails.
Why the motherboard change?

For any major change like this, you need a good backup and be prepared for a full wipe and reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan

I've looked around for solutions and can't find anything useful, I really don't want to format this NVMe to get it to boot properly either
Swapping motherboards and it fails to boot....the likely cause is the different motherboard.

For any major change like this, you need a good backup and be prepared for a full wipe and reinstall.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

Cyberpunk3

Honorable
May 27, 2017

The change was made as I needed to convert my pc to a small form factor case due to all the travelling round the country I do :/

I just dont get it, why is this board of the same brand and family not booting Windows 10 off my NVMe drive? My NVMe is recognised fine by my mobo just not interpreted as a valid boot device by it

USAFRet

Titan
The change was made as I needed to convert my pc to a small form factor case due to all the travelling round the country I do :/

I just dont get it, why is this board of the same brand and family not booting Windows 10 off my NVMe drive? My NVMe is recognised fine by my mobo just not interpreted as a valid boot device by it
In the original system, what drives were in it?

When you power up, what happens?

USAFRet

Titan
"reboot and select...."

That indicates it can't find the boot partition.
You installed the OS with more than one drive physically connected, and the boot partition ended up on some other drive.
Yes,it does that.

In the BIOS boot order, what do you see?

Cyberpunk3

Honorable
May 27, 2017
"reboot and select...."

That indicates it can't find the boot partition.
You installed the OS with more than one drive physically connected, and the boot partition ended up on some other drive.
Yes,it does that.

In the BIOS boot order, what do you see?

Its possible for my OS to exist on one drive but my boot partition to exist on another?

Well I tried to boot off all three drives which are all recognised by my bios fine and all three failed and gave the same message

USAFRet

Titan
Its possible for my OS to exist on one drive but my boot partition to exist on another?

Well I tried to boot off all three drives which are all recognised by my bios fine and all three failed and gave the same message
Not just "possible", but highly likely.
If you installed the OS with more than one drive physically connected, that is what happens.

Can you show a screencap of what appears in your BIOS boot order?

Besides what USAFRet already wrote, if you wana do a really quick test about this (perhaps you already tried it), just remove all the "extra" SSDs from the motherboad, leave only the Windows installed device, power up and try gain.

Cyberpunk3

Honorable
May 27, 2017
EDIT: Im a complete tw*t and forgot about another drive I had on my system and thanks again for the help you have given me on fixing my PC on this forum

Turns out that DID have the boot partition on it. Now for future reference how can I move that boot partition to my NVMe so something like this never happens again :)