Can't boot Windows 7 After moving components

Mbes

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
So I was moving some wires around and rerouting them (Unplugged/re plugged in wires) but now when I try to boot up my computer gives a "Reboot and select proper boot device" on a black screen. I went to BIOS and I got a UEFI windows manager > Se5.....(Hardrive) > P0: ASUS... (optical drive) in the boot priority. I've tried to reboot from the Hardrive and couple of times but it's not working.

I only have 1 HDD drive running OS, that's it. It's a ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX motherboard, I'm not sure if something's lose because it detect the HDD just I'm not sure what to do. I have the install disk but I'm not sure what to do to get it to boot. There is a red light on the mother board that says Something about Booting. Thanks.

Solution
Try using a different color SATA header on the motherboard. If you're plugged into one of the secondary SATA headers, it can cause issues like this. The ASMedia headers are problematic as it is without not using the primary headers. Is this a Sabertooth 990FX r2.0 or an earlier version?

The six brown headers or ports, are the native controller headers, the two white ones are secondary and should only be used as a last resort.

I'd recommend connecting to the first brown port on top next to the white ports.
Try using a different color SATA header on the motherboard. If you're plugged into one of the secondary SATA headers, it can cause issues like this. The ASMedia headers are problematic as it is without not using the primary headers. Is this a Sabertooth 990FX r2.0 or an earlier version?

The six brown headers or ports, are the native controller headers, the two white ones are secondary and should only be used as a last resort.

I'd recommend connecting to the first brown port on top next to the white ports.

Solution

Mbes

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015

It's the r2.0. I tried switching the SATA header it was plugged into, it was in a white one so i moved it to a brown one. Only thing that happened was it appeared as "P0:...(Hardrive)" In the BIOS Screen. Still wouldn't load.
Is there anyway to just put in the Windows 7 Install disk into the optical drive, boot up on that and try to reinstall the OS w/o wiping my files? Or repair such files? I'm terrible w/ OS and Software.

Try resetting the BIOS to default settings and then save and reboot. Keep the drive connected to one of the brown headers. Don't ever use those white headers unless you have to. You can try a windows repair by pressing F8 after you power on. Keep pressing it repeatedly until the advanced boot menu appears and select the repair option.

Honestly, I think the issue is something else though since it was working fine before you moved things around. I'd double check ALL of these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

And if that fails to work, try this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1753671/bench-troubleshooting.html

TRENDING THREADS