Can't boot Windows 8.1 install; stuck at logo

warriotox

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
I have a MSI laptop currently running Windows 7 32bit. The processor does support x64 so I decided to upgrade to 8.1. I have the image and have created a bootable USB using the Rufus tool. When I plug the USB in and restart my pc, I get the prompt to boot from USB by pressing any key. When I do that I am taken to a black screen with the blue Win 8 logo and get stuck there. The loading circle is not there, and nothing happens for 10minutes, then I have just restarted and went directly here.

Also, when I try to boot from the same USB on my personal computer that is already running 8.1 x64 I get to the installation without any issues.

Looking forward to your suggestions, and if you would require any additional information just ask for it I will definitely deliver.

Thank you.

Markeus

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

there is nothing wrong with the installation. Just wait. It will start the setup anywhere from 5-40 minutes. Possibly more

G4m3rHead

Reputable
May 17, 2014

I have the same problem!

Was on 8.1, did the free 10 upgrade, formatted SSD in process, free 10 couldn't activate, had to reinstall 8..

Now I cant upgrade 8 to 8.1 from App Store due to the freezing on logo along with busy/thinking dots, I cant install 10 from USB Flash due to same issue..
I left it for 1 ½ hour to see if it would continue but nothing happened...
I need help :(

Nov 19, 2018
I had the same problem. I wanted to install Windows 8.1 x64 in my Asus A43S using a bootable USB. I created the bootable USB with Rufus, and the installation stuck at the Windows logo for 1 hour.
It turned out that my computer can't boot from a USB drive with GPT (GUID Partition Table) architecture. It was the default disk architecture from rufus. So I tried to create a bootable USB drive using MBR (Master Boot Record) disk architecture and it worked!

GPT is a newer disk architecture so a bootable USB drive with this architecture won't work with some older computers.