Question Can't boot windows after deleting recovery partition

Jul 5, 2020
Hello everyone!

I need elucidation in something very weird that happened.

I did a clean install of windows 10 a while ago and for some reason, the install created not one, but two recovery partitions. Things were running fine until last Friday when I decided that those partitions were bothering me and I decided to run diskpart and delete them. Computer was running fine until I turned it off and back on the next day. It “posted” but I got the “No boot device found - insert boot disk and press any key” message.

After a brief state of desperation because I don’t have another machine to create a recovery/install thumb drive, I had the idea of downloading windows 10 ISO to my android phone, extracting to the SD card on my phone and trying to boot to windows install. Well… that didn’t happened and I booted directly to windows desktop. After that I downloaded the media creation tool and had it update my windows. It took a while, but it finished the installation/update and I thought “now it’s going to boo properly”. It did not.

I’m going to have to do a clean install, but I’m bewildered as to what the heck happened! Can anybody lend a hand?
Thanks!

Edit: looking into disk manager, just realized that the deleted recovery partitions were at the very begining of the drive followed by the EFI system partition and finaly the C drive. Don't know if it matters, but I think the more info the better.
Thanks again!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY