Question Can't boot windows after fresh installation on ssd

Jul 23, 2019
Hello People, I seriously need some help. For quite some time my hdd started giving "SMART status bad, Backup and Replace" errors, and recently it started freezing my pc up therefore i bought a new 1tb sandisk ssd. Firstly i tried cloning my hdd to the ssd but after the cloning, my pc just wouldnt boot up from the ssd. After 5-6 hours of trying fixes i'd found online, i got pissed. I went out to the store and bought a 32gb usb stick and installed windows 10 media creation tool inside to do a fresh install. At this point of time my hdd files were cloned on the ssd. But it gave me errors saying it's a gpt drive so windows 10 couldn't be installed.I somehow fixed however. I wiped my ssd clean with diskpart and installed windows 10 while it's still gpt. But then the real problem arose. Whenever i got into bios and tried booting from my ssd my pc Said “Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any keyboard” I tried checking the cables, using different sata ports, converting it to mbr then installing windows on it, making my bios uefi only (but i got an error saying, bios not fully compatible with boot device), installing windows when it's already installed without cleaning the disk through cmd, clicking on startup repair( says windows couldnt repair). I am really at a loss. Thanks in advance.
Edit: I'd like to add that it seemed to work when i booted up from my hdd and used it as a secondary drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: valeman2012

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hey, can you list your full system specs please?

When you used the creation tool to install windows, was the SSD the only drive connected? I have seen windows butcher/scatter the boot partitions across multiple drives, rendering the intended destination disk unbootable.

If the drive is MBR, then do not enable UEFI in the bios, as they are not compatible. Additionally, you could look in the BOOT section of bios for an option to enable CSM to see if that helps you at all.

Jul 23, 2019
Hey, can you list your full system specs please?

When you used the creation tool to install windows, was the SSD the only drive connected? I have seen windows butcher/scatter the boot partitions across multiple drives, rendering the intended destination disk unbootable.

If the drive is MBR, then do not enable UEFI in the bios, as they are not compatible. Additionally, you could look in the BOOT section of bios for an option to enable CSM to see if that helps you at all.
Specs:
Intel Core i5 3470 CPU
ASUS P8H77-M LE Motherboard
8GBs DDR3 1600MHz Ram
GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Western Digital 10S21X-24R1BT0 SSHD-8GBSSD (faulty drive)
SanDisk SSD PLUS 1000GB (Arrived yesterday)
WD Blue 500GB 5400 rpm (oldest drive where i store my pictures and stuff)

Yes,SSD was the only drive connected iirc, and i will try out converting the drive to MBR and disabling uefi.thanks for the reply.

Edit: I tried cleaning the disk and convert ing it to Mbr then disabling uefi options and enabling legacy. However windows 10 setup gave me error that goes “windows cannot be installed to this disk ensure disk controller is enabled in bios”

Last edited:

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Specs:
Intel Core i5 3470 CPU
ASUS P8H77-M LE Motherboard
8GBs DDR3 1600MHz Ram
GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Western Digital 10S21X-24R1BT0 SSHD-8GBSSD (faulty drive)
SanDisk SSD PLUS 1000GB (Arrived yesterday)
WD Blue 500GB 5400 rpm (oldest drive where i store my pictures and stuff)

Yes,SSD was the only drive connected iirc, and i will try out converting the drive to MBR and disabling uefi.thanks for the reply.

Edit: I tried cleaning the disk and convert ing it to Mbr then disabling uefi options and enabling legacy. However windows 10 setup gave me error that goes “windows cannot be installed to this disk ensure disk controller is enabled in bios”
Did it give you an option to enable Legacy and OPROM? or just legacy?

Jul 23, 2019
This is how I have them currently set up(They werent like this when the problems occured) Can you tell me what to do based on these pictures?
IMG-20190724-015852.jpg

IMG-20190724-015904.jpg

IMG-20190724-015913.jpg

IMG-20190724-015923.jpg

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
After enabling CSM (compatibility support module) you should only have to modify/ensure BOOT DEVICE CONTROL = UEFI AND LEGACY OPROM, the others should be fine as their defaults.

Jul 23, 2019
After enabling CSM (compatibility support module) you should only have to modify/ensure BOOT DEVICE CONTROL = UEFI AND LEGACY OPROM, the others should be fine as their defaults.
So i have tried what you've Said, made sure the drive was mbr tried installing windows but unfortunately i ended up with the same result. I can still boot up from the faulty drive and access ssd's contents so now i'll try searching for bad sectors

Jul 23, 2019
Can you send me a screenshot of your Disk Management tool while looking at the SSD in question? I want to see if maybe the partitions look weird or something....

Here's an example of mine.
View: https://imgur.com/a/4VboVL0
There you go (Kurtarma means Recovery, I've Just changed the system knowledge to make it more understandable)
IMG-20190724-035428.jpg

I hope we can reach a conclusion otherwise I'm gonna call them back and send the ssd back for sending me a faulty device xd

Edit : i converted the ssd to gpt because i couldnt get the setup to install windows on mbr, that didnt solve the main issue though

TRENDING THREADS