Cant Boot windows, Linux boot loader has taken over

endoftheline2

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I had windows 7 originally Installed on my Laptop. I then Installed Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop version, and it installed the grub boot loader
(All on 1 single HD, each OS is on its own partition.)

This boot loader was used to dual boot between windows and Linux. However now the grub boot loader is broken, and I was talking to some people how knew about Ubuntu, and they said to just delete its partition, which I did.

Now when I boot from my HD I just get a broken grub boot loader, and can’t get even get into my Win 7. Now I just want to get ride of this Grub boot loader, and get Windows 7 MBR back. I have booted from my windows 7 recovery disc, and have done:

Startup Repair – It found no problems, but HD still only boots to broken grub boot loader

System Restore – I restored to before I was having this problem, but HD still only boots to broken grub boot loader

I am trying to figure out what commands to enter in the command prompt to repair the MBR, or maybe just view what partitions are in my computer, and then completely delete the one with Grub on it.

If I type bcdedit I get this:

Windows Boot Manager
Identifier: {bootmgr}
Device: partition = C:
Description: Windows Boot Manager
Inherit: {globalsettings}
Default: {default}
Displayorder: {default}

Windows Boot Loader
Identifier: {default}
Device: partition = D:
Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Description: Windows 7
Inherit: {bootsequencesettings]
Recoveryenabled: yes
Osdevice: partition = D:
Systemroot: \windows
Nx: OptIn

According to this everything looks fine, The C partition is that 100MB system reserved boot partition that windows 7 creates, and the D partition is a 100GB partition that I created on the HardDrive that windows 7 was installed to. I don’t understand why the windows boot loader will not boot, somehow the grub boot loader is still over riding it, even though I deleted the partition that ubuntu was installed on, and where the grub should have been installed as well.

From the command prompt, if I use diskpart, there are only 2 partitions, a 100MB one, and a 100GB one. Those are C and D respectively, so I am not sure how the grub is still loading unless it installed itself to a NTFS partition if that is even possible.

Does anyone know what commands I can try to repair or recreate the MBR so that windows 7 will load, or maybe commands to delete this Grub boot loader?

Solution
Open "System Recovery Options" on the repair disk, or OS disk. Open up the Command Prompt. Try typing the following commands in order: "bootrec /fixmbr", "bootrec /fixboot", "bootrec /rebuildbdc".

endoftheline2

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Thanks for the ideas, this is the results of running the commands:

> bootrec /fixMBR – operation completed successfully

> bootrec /fixBoot - operation completed successfully

> bootrec /rebuildBCD –
Successfully scanned windows installations.
Total identified Windows Installations: 0
Operation completed successfully

> bootrec /scanOS -
Successfully scanned windows installations.
Total identified Windows Installations: 0
Operation completed successfully

Although it says 0 identified windows installations, My windows 7 now boots fine, and there is no more grub boot loader. Thanks a lot for the help.

G

OMG Thank you!

Richard Storey

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I keep a copy of Acronis Disk Director handy all the time, as well as Acronis True Image. Both are bootable, Director will install a new bootable OS selector, and True Image will totally restore your Win partition (if you backed it up). It pays to have tools like this handy when experimenting with a dual boot setup. There are many others out there as well.