Can't boot with Dual Channel Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebadkarma

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I know theres been millions of this same post and I have spent many hours reading up but I can't get it to work.

I recently upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and ram but I cannot boot up my pc in dual channel mode. All the fans and leds turn on but my screen is blank. the dbug lights on cpu and dram take turns going on and off. I'm stuck currently in single channel.

MB: MSI Z370-A PRO
CPU: I5-8600K
RAM: Corsair LPX 2X8 DDR4

The manual and board says install in slots 2 and 4 first and then 1 and 3(if i get more ram). I can run my pc only in slots 3 and 4 which is single channel. I've tested my ram sticks in all possible combinations together and by themselves. I can only run it with one stick in slot 4 or both in 3 and 4.

Re flashed bios, updated drivers, attempted increasing voltage( only one time, need help on that), loosened my cpu cooler, re seated cpu, checked for bent pins(possibly not thoroughly).

Pretty clueless on what to do now. Any ideas?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If both sticks work in only 3/4, and both sticks were bought together in a kit, I'd say there's a mobo issue. If both sticks were bought separately in different packages, you have a compatability issue that might be resolved by changing the timings or bumping the ram voltage 0.05v-0.1v. Or might need sa agent bumped slightly.

If none of the above work, rma both mobo and ram since they are new and start over.

t53186

Distinguished
OK, looking at the manual it in fact says to put the dimms in:
1 dimm=slot 2 (Channel A) 2 dimms= slot 2 & 4 (Chanel b) which then is single channel.
Two additional dimms would go in slots 1 & 3

So with only slots 3 and 4 working (channel b) it would seem likely (channel a) is dead.

Do you have 4 dimms or 2 ?, if only 2 make sure they are identical (came in same kit)

thebadkarma

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
The ram was bought in a pack together. So I am supposed to put it in slots 2 and 4 correct? I did check to see I had xmp profile on and it is. Although it says the dram voltage is 1.2, next to it it says 1.21 or so. (On auto currently)

t53186

Distinguished
Yes, in order to run dual channel with two dimms slots 2 and 4 should be used. If you only install one dimm (minimum system configuration) in slot 2, per the manual, and slot two does not function, then I would suspect the motherboard or dimm.

How about checking the MSI "approved" memory compatability chart here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-A-PRO.html#support-mem-5

Manual specifies not exceeding 1.35v on the memory to protect the CPU, so 1.2v is OK.

thebadkarma

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I exchanged the ram today for Corsair 3000mhz RGB 2x8(a kit). Same results...but when I put it in other slots the rgb lights do come on at least. So theres at least power getting through the "dead slots"?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 288 pins on ddr4. It only takes 1 pin not connecting or broken to make the ram unusable. But that doesn't mean the other 287 pins have issues, so you would likely get powered leds, even change the colors via software etc but there simply might be no communication between the board and IC. At this point, with ram verified working, it's more than likely a motherboard issue, either a bent pin or broken trace etc. Doubtful it's a cpu issue, although it's possible the chip is bad and affecting the memory controller.

First thing I'd check for is bent pins. Get a good flashlight and a magnifying glass.

thebadkarma

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Yeah that makes sense. My best guess is bent pins as well. I'll have to get a magnifying glass and look more thoroughly this time.

thebadkarma

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Wow I never thought I would find a solution. Turns out it was my cooler causing too much uneven pressure. Once I installed my new x52 Kraken AIO, I made sure to evenly screw it in and what do you know, it finally boots in dual.

Jan 3, 2019
I'm having the same issue with my gigabyte z370p mobo, when I built it it did the same thing and finally worked when I loosened the 212 evo I got. I just changed coolers and now I'm having the same issue again but now it wont boot no matter how loose I have the cooler. It boots same as yours in 3&4.

Status
Not open for further replies.