Question cant boot with ram at 3200mhz(xmp)

Miltosss

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
My pc boots and works just fine with 2133mhz but when i set it to 3200mhz which is xmp speed it doesnt, and it used to run at 3200mhz before i had to reset my bios cause of an cpu oc
pc specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Aorus b450 Pro
Ram: 2x8 tridentz rgb 3200mhz
SSD/HDD: 860 evo samsung 500gb
GPU: 2070 super windforce 3x
PSU: cx650 bronxe 650w
Case: nzxt h510i
bios version: f51
pls help :)

Which slots do you have the memory installed in?

Have you tried a hard reset?

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Miltosss

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
Which slots do you have the memory installed in?

Have you tried a hard reset?

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.
I have it at 2nd and 4th slot and i get no video signal when i oc anything(memory xmp or cpu), my computer just runs and i have to do a hard reset everytime to fix, i will try tho what u said with my other monitor with hdmi 😉

How old is that CX650 power supply?

God help him if it's one of the pre-2015 models. The revised ones are at least rated for normal operating temperatures but they have enough ripple to make Ryzen 2 unstable, as binned to the silicon limits as it is. I wouldn't expect much trying to overclock on that platform with such dirty power.

Btw disable Spread Spectrum. I'm seeing all the AM4 mobos have that enabled by default and it causes all kinds of havock due to some crazy clock shifting like I have never seen before, sometimes hundreds of MHz to the CPU as that base clock drifts.

Miltosss

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
God help him if it's one of the pre-2015 models. The revised ones are at least rated for normal operating temperatures but they have enough ripple to make Ryzen 2 unstable, as binned to the silicon limits as it is. I wouldn't expect much trying to overclock on that platform with such dirty power.

Btw disable Spread Spectrum. I'm seeing all the AM4 mobos have that enabled by default and it causes all kinds of havock due to some crazy clock shifting like I have never seen before, sometimes hundreds of MHz to the CPU as that base clock drifts.
I bought my pc 2 months ago so i dont think my psu is 5 yrs old

Miltosss

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
Understandable, however, a LOT of people built an entirely new system, but reuse their five to ten year old power supply, so we always have to question that.

What is the EXACT model of the memory kit you are using?
everything on my pc is new and i also did run a memtest86 and there were no errors, my ram is f4-3200c16d-16gtzr

So, that memory kit IS validated for that motherboard, specifically, and should run at the XMP profile settings without any trouble. Either there is an incorrect setting or a faulty hardware component such as one of the memory modules.

Have you tried leaving only a single memory module installed, in the A2 slot, which is the second slot over from the CPU socket, and enabling A-XMP with only a single module installed, and then removing it and trying the other one in it's place?

If that won't work at the XMP settings even with only a single module installed, then I'd pull the CPU and check for bent pins. If it DOES run with one of the DIMMs installed, at the XMP profile, but not the other, then I'd RMA the WHOLE memory kit for replacement. If it works with each stick separately, but not together, at the XMP profile speed and there are no bent pins, then I'd begin to suspect the motherboard itself.

I'm assuming you ran the Memtest86 test with both memory modules at the default configuration, but did you run it for FOUR complete passes, or just one pass? Four complete passes is required to even get somewhat of an assurance that it's not the memory and even then, there could still be faults with the memory as Memtest86 is not always 100% accurate, especially when you are running the free version that does not have ALL of the Memtest tests included. It has only 11 of the 13 recommended tests, but even at that it is usually a very good indicator of whether there is a problem or not, it just isn't a 100% definitive answer.

Miltosss

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
So, that memory kit IS validated for that motherboard, specifically, and should run at the XMP profile settings without any trouble. Either there is an incorrect setting or a faulty hardware component such as one of the memory modules.

Have you tried leaving only a single memory module installed, in the A2 slot, which is the second slot over from the CPU socket, and enabling A-XMP with only a single module installed, and then removing it and trying the other one in it's place?

If that won't work at the XMP settings even with only a single module installed, then I'd pull the CPU and check for bent pins. If it DOES run with one of the DIMMs installed, at the XMP profile, but not the other, then I'd RMA the WHOLE memory kit for replacement. If it works with each stick separately, but not together, at the XMP profile speed and there are no bent pins, then I'd begin to suspect the motherboard itself.

I'm assuming you ran the Memtest86 test with both memory modules at the default configuration, but did you run it for FOUR complete passes, or just one pass? Four complete passes is required to even get somewhat of an assurance that it's not the memory and even then, there could still be faults with the memory as Memtest86 is not always 100% accurate, especially when you are running the free version that does not have ALL of the Memtest tests included. It has only 11 of the 13 recommended tests, but even at that it is usually a very good indicator of whether there is a problem or not, it just isn't a 100% definitive answer.
If i take out my cpu to see will i have to reapply thermal paste cause i font have any chilling in my home and the memtest did 4 passes and when i trird to oc my cpu again (small oc) i got no screen output while the pc was runnung do could it be a bad bios? 🤔

8VYatOD.jpg

Did you buy the case used? Well, regardless, obviously not your problem if it's not there and not in use. Next idea. LOL.

Did you re-flash the BIOS to see if it was a bad flash?

Have you started from scratch, after completely resetting the BIOS to default settings by removing the CMOS battery, and THEN set the XMP profile, with NO CPU overclock, to see what happens? If you have, WHAT happened? Does it POST? Does it just not want to boot into Windows? Does it restart? WHAT, EXACTLY, happens when you enable XMP?

Miltosss

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
Did you buy the case used? Well, regardless, obviously not your problem if it's not there and not in use. Next idea. LOL.

Did you re-flash the BIOS to see if it was a bad flash?

Have you started from scratch, after completely resetting the BIOS to default settings by removing the CMOS battery, and THEN set the XMP profile, with NO CPU overclock, to see what happens? If you have, WHAT happened? Does it POST? Does it just not want to boot into Windows? Does it restart? WHAT, EXACTLY, happens when you enable XMP?
my case is new ans same with every other part, i tried to reflash but it wont let, it will pop up a windows message and when i set xmp my pc just runs, i dont see post ar any screen output, my pc just runs and as i said before idk but by just entering bios and then exiting with no changes, i get that broblem and have to hard reset bios