[SOLVED] Can't boot with XMP enabled

pcgamer_4123

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hi!

I am trying to get this RAM:
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18 Black Heat Spreader XMP 2.0 Desktop Gaming Memory Black: Computers: Amazon.com.au

to work with this motherboard:
ASRock > Z390 Phantom Gaming 6

The motherboard seems to detect the correct XMP profile, but when the XMP profile is enabled, the system hangs on boot and eventually reverts to booting without an XMP profile enabled.

Using one stick at a time works, but only with stick A.

Stick A only (1 x 16GB) with XMP enabled = boots
Stick B only (1 x 16GB) with XMP enabled = no boot

Does this mean stick B is bad?

With both sticks in and XMP enabled, the system won't boot and I have to turn off XMP resulting in a speed of only 2667mhz.

58DWsYI.jpg

The motherboard seems to be proposing the correct XMP profile but alas, still won't boot with this setting enabled.

zhwwsAM.jpg

1. I've tried manually setting the DRAM frequency to 3600, and nudging the voltage up to 1.4V, however it still won't boot with both sticks.
  2. Motherboard has been flashed to the latest bios (4.30)
  3. The RAM is in A2 and B2 slot

CPU: Intel i7-9700k (stock)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18 Black Heat Spreader XMP 2.0 Desktop Gaming Memory Black: Computers: Amazon.com.au
Motherboard: ASRock > Z390 Phantom Gaming 6

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
Have you tried setting the voltage to 1.45v, then the DRAM frequency to DDR4-3600MHz, while all timings are set to auto? To rule out a stick out of that kit being faulty, have you tried swapping positions on the memory slots while using the two DIMM slots mentioned in the manual? I mean, out of the two if you're seeing Stick B end up being finnicky while in A2 or B2, then the fault can very well be that one stick out of that kit is faulty. You could take the kit to a friend or neighbors house and see if the kit works on their platform without a hiccup.

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried setting the voltage to 1.45v, then the DRAM frequency to DDR4-3600MHz, while all timings are set to auto? To rule out a stick out of that kit being faulty, have you tried swapping positions on the memory slots while using the two DIMM slots mentioned in the manual? I mean, out of the two if you're seeing Stick B end up being finnicky while in A2 or B2, then the fault can very well be that one stick out of that kit is faulty. You could take the kit to a friend or neighbors house and see if the kit works on their platform without a hiccup.

Solution

pcgamer_4123

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

Hi Lutfij,

I think you've solved my problem!

I put both sticks back in and set all the timings to auto, voltage to 1.40v and the frequency to 3600 and it wouldn't boot, so I pulled the frequency back to 3200mhz and it's booting. You're a lifesaver. It looks like only of the sticks was capable of going to 3600 and the other has hit a roof at 3200. My only other question is if long term 1.40v is going to be a problem - the packaging itself says 1.35. What do you think? Thanks.

Last edited: