Cant Boot XP after installing Windows 7

dalmazian1

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully help me out.
I have a ide hard drive with windows 7 installed on it. And a sata harddrive with xp installed on it.
I wanted to be able to dual boot with the two but when i try to boot xp i get this error.

0x0000007b (0xba4c3524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

On my old drive XP used to be installed on C:
But now that drive has become E:

Is there a way to pull this off? I would like XP to stay on C: because all of my old files are pointing to that location.

I am using windows 7 home premium if that helps.

Ok, so you have XP and 7 installed on different physical drives? And XP was installed first? Do you receive a selection menu at start-up asking you which OS to boot into?

Remember that Windows 7 will take over the boot loader function after you install it. Dual-boot should work fine provided you installed Windows 7 on a separate physical drive or logical partition.

fearlessfred

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I suspect that you had already installed XP on a drive, have seperately installed Windows 7 on a seperate Drive, then tried fitting the drive with XP in the computer where you now have Windows 7 installed, is this correct?
The reason I say this is because it sounds like Windows 7 was not installed FROM the XP machine when it was running, (You can install it to another drive and keep XP, but it means that Windows 7 can initialise Windows XP from boot). Windows XP uses a completely different Loader to Windows Vista and Windows 7, so you CANNOT use XP boot menu to initialise Windows 7. Windows 7 loader CAN be used to configure XP boot. First, if you want to use XP as C: drive, Boot into Windows 7 and go to disk manager, assign different drive letter to Windows 7, then re-boot with Windows 7 Installation disk in the drive and repair your boot loader. I could re-invent the wheel, but there is a good guide here already;

http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-vista-already-1946.html

This will give you a walk through of how to 'repair' the Windows 7 loader, (yes I know it says Vista but they are the same loader), to see your XP drive and give you the option of Booting from it, and will even let you name it instead of 'earlier version of windows'

dalmazian1

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Yes windows xp was installed first on one physical drive. Then later on I added another drive and installed windows 7. I did not install windows 7 while in xp.
I have tried to change the drive letter in windows 7, but cannot because I get a parameter error. I think because the drive is already in use. I will take a look at the guide and try the suggestions. Thank you both for your replies. I'll report back later tonight.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
You failed to answer the question by Herr_Koos,
"Do you receive a selection menu at start-up asking you which OS to boot into?"
That can make a difference to getting the correct response re your problem.
It would tell us whether you can boot into both OS's for instance.

dalmazian1

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Right now I have it set to boot the windows 7 drive only in the bios. When I do have it set up to have the boot OS options if I pick XP it goes to the splash screen and i get that stop error that i posted in my first post.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

I think what Herr_Koos is getting at is, when you went to install Windows 7, did you change your boot disk in bios.

What you want is to keep your boot disk be your old XP disk and during install of Windows 7 simply choose the disk on which to install, Windows 7 will install a loader as mentioned by others, that will let you choose between the installed systems.

As to keeping your disk as C:, whichever disk that boots your OS will be displayed as C: once that version of Windows has loaded, changing the drive letter in Windows is for that OS only.

dalmazian1

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Ok i don't mind doing a fresh install of windows 7, but my problem is i still can't get back into windows xp, even if i try to boot it off of the original drive like i used to. Could the boot.ini have gotten corrupted ?

dalmazian1

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
So I stuck with the one sata drive and made a new partition and installed windows 7 on the new partition. Again, windows 7 works fine, but I still can't boot windows XP.
Same exact error.
0x0000007b. Tried to go in and do fixmbr and fixboot in the recovery console. Tried the windows 7 startup recovery. I am stumped.

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
I think booting is corrupt... If booting w/o the w7 hd in doesn't work... then it would seem as if the hd is unbootable... what you may be able to do is go into w7 and copy all ur wanted files from the xp-installed drive and paste them somewhere... then reinstall xp after formatting, and cut and paste the files back in...

robin88

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hello,
i hv my own xp here. i try to install windows 7 in my laptop. after that, i want to change it to my previous windows xp. but here, when i try to install xp again, it say that boot manager is missing. press alt+ctrl+del to restart. anybody can help me?