can't change account type

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
I don't know what I did but somehow I changed my account from administrator to guest.
now I can't change back.
whenever I try to open an app with the yellow blue shield symbol, I get the uac prompt telling me to enter user name and password but I don't have any where to put in.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you go anywhere near user accounts or did this just happen after a login? Are you on your normal user account or a guest?

Do you have PC set to auto login to desktop? One time I had my profile go wacky and it would log me in as a guest, but if I restarted PC it would log me in as the normal user

Colif

Win 11 Master
So if you login with that password it takes you to a guest account?

By restart I mean the option in the power button, not turn PC on/off. I found a restart would let me into old account and then I set up a new local account and gave it admin rights and copied contents of the old user folder in c:\users over the new user so it had same access. ever since I have had 2 users as I keep old one around in case it happens again. I also turned off auto login so it wouldn't happen again

was your account linked to a Microsoft account? you can go here and confirm account still works , and change password if need be: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026838/microsoft-account-to-change-your-microsoft-account-password

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

i have the same name, same password. it only changed to guest.

If your user account is now set to be a standard user or guest user then it would be against forum rules to tell you how to set it back to administrator account as that would be telling you how to bypass passwords or security measures.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2317969/read-passwords-lock-codes-pin-numbers.html

From your standard account when you go to C:\Users do you see two user folders for your current and like an old account?
Is there any other admin account on the computer?

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

i managed to restore the system. now the problem is no more.