Question Can't change ethernet connection name after changing wifi connection name

Aussie_Wolfhound

Prominent
Jul 12, 2022
I know this is probably going to sound like the dumbest thing to ask about, lol, but for us OCDer's this is the kind of stuff that causes mental breakdowns! :O Ok sooooooo... earlier on i went to change the names of my 2 wifi connections (i'm guessing you get both 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections in your neck of the woods too) because for a long time i had both of them set to just really dumb silly childish names and i've matured now :D I wanted to have them set to just super simple names (ie. Pent 2.4 and Pent 5 as the name of my ISP is Pentanet) but i accidentally set the first one to Pent 2.5 at first and i noticed my ethernet connection rook that name too.
I then went and changed it to Pent 2.4,,, but no matter what i try i can't get the ethernet connection to change it's name :( Ofcourse i tried going to Network and Internet Settings and right-clicking on it and selecting "rename"... but all that does is change the name at the top... Pent 2.5 still rermains in the middle and still shows up as Pent 2.5 in my list of available network connections on the taskbar. Surely one of you wonderful lovely nerds will know a solution to this earth-shattering problem of mine, surely?

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model router or modem/router if combined?

Network names are established via the router's admin screens/menus.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

If you are the admin person then reset the router to factory settings and start over using the desired wireless network names.

Before doing so, download the applicable router's User Guide/Manual.

Review all of the configuration options noting the default values. Make notes regarding the desired/required configurations settings and plan out the process step by step.

Make the changes. Set up wired first, then each wireless frequency 2.4, then 5.0.

Test as you go and resolve any problems before proceding to the next step.

Reactions: Aussie_Wolfhound

Aussie_Wolfhound

Prominent
Jul 12, 2022
Make and model router or modem/router if combined?

Network names are established via the router's admin screens/menus.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

If you are the admin person then reset the router to factory settings and start over using the desired wireless network names.

Before doing so, download the applicable router's User Guide/Manual.

Review all of the configuration options noting the default values. Make notes regarding the desired/required configurations settings and plan out the process step by step.

Make the changes. Set up wired first, then each wireless frequency 2.4, then 5.0.

Test as you go and resolve any problems before proceding to the next step.
Thanks :) I was hoping there was a simpler solution than a factory reset but no biggie... did the job. Cheers again.

This is some stupid field in that microsoft hides in the registry. It is purely a string of characters and means nothing really. I am surprised they don't have a gui field on the nic settings. I used to know where they hid this but microsoft likes to change stuff for no real reason with their patches and the massively bloated win11.

From what I can tell it seem microsoft will assume it is the same network if the ip addresses are the same. If you change the IP in your router it will think this is a different network. A really stupid way to "fix" this problem.

This is where I wish there was a way to call the developers at home and ask question like this. Maybe they would not do stupid crap if they were the one who had to provide the end user support.

Network names are stored in registry.
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}

Find approipriate adapter entry and change ProfileName string to whatever you want it to be.

63160-image.png

but for us OCDer's this is the kind of stuff that causes mental breakdowns!
Anyway - network name doesn't matter in the slightest. You should not be concerned about it.

Last edited: