Can't Change MAC Address?

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Hey all!

I need to change the MAC addresses of the machines at my work, but am having mixed results. Some I can change successfully (the change shows up in ipconfig/all), but others I can't. It's a mix of Win. 7 and XP. I got 2 of the Win XP's to change, and 2 of the Win 7, and my Macbook, but not with the others. I follow these steps (for both OS's)...

Network-
Network connections (right click)
Configure-
Advanced tab-
Network Address-
Click the button next to the blank space-
Enter the 12 digit HEX (0-9 A-F) mix the numbers and letters
Click OK let the adapter change it's settings and reconnect to the network-
Check ip configuration and the change should show under the active NIC adapter

On some it works fine and the changes are applied. On the others (2 win 7, 1 win XP) it doesn't. It shows in the network address in the NIC configuration, but not in CMD.

How come it's not working? Is it an issue with the adapters? One is a PCI adapter, the other 2 are built-in. One's a laptop the other a custom-built PC (ASRock H77M mobo).

I need to change the MAC's as soon as I can to fix some network issues.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty tech savvy. Thanks!

Nick

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Thanks for the fast reply! So there's no other way to change it?

I have heard you can do it through the registry, but I'd rather not as these are work machines and I don't want a corrupted OS in case something goes wrong.

i have tried some of the softwares that say they can change it for you

but same thing ipconfig says they arent changed

and i didnt try mucking about in the registry to do it

though have seen sites saying that may work

just seems hit and miss in windows to me

one adapter works another doesnt

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
I tried that software and it doesn't work either. They had one for my mac and that was the first thing i tried. Didn't work so i did it from the command line....super simple! I think it has something to do with the adapter driver. Anyway there are registry fixes you can do change it. If i had to i would do it that way.

Thanks again!

Cheers