Can't change resolution to 1680 x 1050?

safwaan

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I cant change my resolution to support the monitor size? i have installed drivers too but nothing changes. My motherboard is an asrock 960 gc gs fx. There are some drivers for my monitor but for windows xp i have to right click install them but nothing happens i tried manually adding them from device manager (have disk) but an error occurs saying that the file is not supported for 64bit?

pbm86

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
It sounds like you don't have drivers for your graphics installed. Are you using a discrete graphics card or just the integrated video on the motherboard? Also do you really use Windows XP 64 bit?

safwaan

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

Using intergrated graphics, and im on windows 10 64bit. On the asrock website you can download latest drivers but i think it was only for windows 7 but there are also beta drivers for windows 8 but that didnt make a difference too. Windows updated the graphics to the latest aswell. If i had intel graphics i would be able to make a custom resolution but i cant with ati 3000?

pbm86

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Windows 10 should install the right graphics drivers. The problem is that GPU is no longer supported by AMD. It might be a stupid question but did you try to restart the system. The drivers may not be supported but that doesn't mean they can't detect a display.
I would recommend just buy the cheapest supported graphics card by nVidia. GeForce GT 610 or 710 is a good choice. nVidia really still supports Geforce GT 210 but it is really old and not that cheaper. The cheapest supported AMD card is R7 240 but that is considerably more expensive.
If you have a Windows 7 license intalling that OS would be a good alternative.

safwaan

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
So i uninstalled the drivers, tried the beta version and it installed the Catalyst Control Center but if i check the adapter settings it shows the Microsoft driver instead of the amd driver that showed on the windows 7 version of the driver? If i open the control center all it lets me do is change the clock speed of the CPU but no settings of the resolution even when i had an old biostar motherboard with nvidia it let me change to the correct resolution.

safwaan

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I tried this software it won't let me "deploy" so i did it manually where amd is installed by default ( and intel legacy) and then after it installed it resets the application defaults. I do have another display but it is an 17" which will work because it is smaller resolution.
Edit: I fixed it using Custom Resolution Utility but i have to select 60hz, 75hz don't work even though my monitor supports it.