[SOLVED] Cant change resolution to 3840x2160 with some games.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
Not sure if it fits here so simply move it to the right category.

Here my GPU and monitor.
RX 290 8gb ram from Gigabyte
32" AOC Agon curved gaming monitor AG322FCX

My win resolution setting is 1920x1080, as when I choose higher, the writing is so small, I can hardly read it. However, some of the games I can change the resolution to 3840x2160, thanks to the option in the AMD driver settings, and it looks and runs great. But some games, I can not go any higher up than 1920x.

Also, thankfully only with a very few titles, I only see a quarter of the game. Like for example with Diablo 3, I only see the top left of the menu of the game. Not all the time, but occasionally it happens. After I restart the game, everything is back to normal. With another game from 10 years ago, the entire screen was black, while I kept hearing the music. In the end I was forced to enter the .ini file to revert the resolution to 1920.

I just find it weird why I can change some games to 3840x2160 like the Resi remakes, the Tomb Raider reboots and even the original Half Life, but others I can not?

Solution
I think the problem here is the OP's explanation, which is a bit unclear about what they're doing. You can't set a AG322FCX to actually run at 4K. What you're almost certainly seeing is supersampling at 4K rather than the more traditional anti-aliasing. Diablo 3 has had a lot of reports of black screen errors when forcing this setting. Lots of games, especially older ones before this was a standard feature, run into weird issues with text and graphics when you force supersampling via the GPU software. One should always be aware of these types of issues when forcing settings upon a game rather than changing settings as the game programmers designed.

The only game you named that didn't work was Diablo 3, but I'd wager that most if not...

Endre

Reputable
Not sure if it fits here so simply move it to the right category.

Here my GPU and monitor.
RX 290 8gb ram from Gigabyte
32" AOC Agon curved gaming monitor AG322FCX

My win resolution setting is 1920x1080, as when I choose higher, the writing is so small, I can hardly read it. However, some of the games I can change the resolution to 3840x2160, thanks to the option in the AMD driver settings, and it looks and runs great. But some games, I can not go any higher up than 1920x.

Also, thankfully only with a very few titles, I only see a quarter of the game. Like for example with Diablo 3, I only see the top left of the menu of the game. Not all the time, but occasionally it happens. After I restart the game, everything is back to normal. With another game from 10 years ago, the entire screen was black, while I kept hearing the music. In the end I was forced to enter the .ini file to revert the resolution to 1920.

I just find it weird why I can change some games to 3840x2160 like the Resi remakes, the Tomb Raider reboots and even the original Half Life, but others I can not?

Your AOC monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080 @144hz.
Please keep it that way for anything that you’re doing.
Going for a higher resolution is not recommended.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think the problem here is the OP's explanation, which is a bit unclear about what they're doing. You can't set a AG322FCX to actually run at 4K. What you're almost certainly seeing is supersampling at 4K rather than the more traditional anti-aliasing. Diablo 3 has had a lot of reports of black screen errors when forcing this setting. Lots of games, especially older ones before this was a standard feature, run into weird issues with text and graphics when you force supersampling via the GPU software. One should always be aware of these types of issues when forcing settings upon a game rather than changing settings as the game programmers designed.

The only game you named that didn't work was Diablo 3, but I'd wager that most if not all of the other games also have issues with forced supersampling.

Solution

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014

The only game you named that didn't work was Diablo 3, but I'd wager that most if not all of the other games also have issues with forced supersampling.
Actually, Diablo 3 works really well. Never had a black screen and it happened only a few times when I start the game with the mentioned problem.

Still weird why other games I can change and clearly can see the difference, but others can't. But from what I'm reading here is, that because my monitor isn't made for 4k, I should expect that. Shame really when the drivers offer this and the mentioned games run really well.
Thanks for the replies. I guess one day I will get a 4k monitor then when they don't cost an arm and a leg.

Endre

Reputable
Actually, Diablo 3 works really well. Never had a black screen and it happened only a few times when I start the game with the mentioned problem.

Still weird why other games I can change and clearly can see the difference, but others can't. But from what I'm reading here is, that because my monitor isn't made for 4k, I should expect that. Shame really when the drivers offer this and the mentioned games run really well.
Thanks for the replies. I guess one day I will get a 4k monitor then when they don't cost an arm and a leg.

“The drivers offer” anything! Even 5K and 8K.
But the problem is that your monitor doesn’t have 8 million pixels to display 4K content, it only has 2 million.
So, please, stick with the native resolution.