Can't change resolution with new monitor on notebook

shinanqu

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Hello,

I hope somebody can help me. I have a huge issue with my new monitor and I can barely use my notebook now.

I have a Acer Aspire V notebook, bought 2014. My monitor broke and I went to a local computer shop. They changed my monitor and said that a new Acer monitor has been installed.

The monitor (seems) to work fine, but the new maximal resolution is 1366x768 instead of 1900x1200. Most programs that I use don't work properly with such a low resolution.

I assume that the problem are the settings of the graphic card drivers.

The graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. I installed the most recent driver 372.54 from 2016 but it didn't help.

In the device manager under graphic card are two graphic cards listed:
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
- Intel (R) HD Graphics Family

When I right click on desktop -> Resolution -> Advanced Settings
The Intel driver is listed instead of the NVIDIA driver. I assume that the NVIDIA driver works fine, but it's just not really used by Windows. And I don't know how I can tell windows to use the NVIDIA driver instead of the generic Intel driver.

When I right click on the Intel driver -> Update Driver -> Search on Computer for Driver -> Choose from a list of drivers -> Deselect Show only compatible hardware -> NVIDIA -> NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M -> Continue -> Yes
With other words, when I try to update the Intel driver and force him to use the NVIDIA driver as an update, I get an error message "The NVIDIA driver is not supported by this Windows Version."

I assume that this error message has no meaning and I just shouldn't try to update an Intel driver with an totally unrelated driver. The hardware and grahic card are just about 2 years old, the monitor is new, Windows 8.1 is updated, the graphic driver are updated, everything should be compatible and support each other.

How can I change the resolution to 1900x1200? How can I tell Windows to use the NVIDIA drivers as the graphic card? What else can I try? Should I go back to the repair shop and ask for help (though I assume that it has nothing to do with the hardware or with their work)?

Thank you for reading this long post! I look forward to any kind of help, support and advice :) Thank you!

Solution
They may have installed a cheaper monitor. 1366x768 may be all the resolution that monitor has. The may be noting you can do other than take it back to the shop that installed the monitor.

shinanqu

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015

You are totally right. For several days I try to de- and reinstall drivers, but at the end it was the monitor. Today I brought it back to the tech guy, who was very sorry for installing the wrong monitor. Now I finally have a full HD monitor and can work again! :) Thank you for your help!