[SOLVED] Can't configure from 144hz to 280hz

Sep 20, 2021
Hello guys,
I bought the ASUS TUF Gaming VG258QM and I'm trying to reach the 280hz or at least 240hz but in Windows 10 it only shows refresh rates from 60 to 144hz. I tried with HDMI and now I changed it to a DP v1.4 but still same issue. My laptop is a Dell Precision M6800 with Nvidia Quadro K5100M (drivers updated).
I already overclocked my monitor to set it as 280hz but in Windows nothing changes.

Do you have any clue on what should be happening? I thought it was because of the cable but nope...maybe Laptop ports versions? or graphic limitations? :/ Windows is limiting the refresh rate?

Solution
Just for LOL's, I thought I'd link you to a phenomenal 1080p 360 Hz display. Personally, I'm more of a 1440p guy, but if 1080p is your jam, then this one is supposed to be pretty great, if not very expensive. A 3rd party has a listing on Amazon for $569.99, but Amazon product listing on the same page is $599.99. If you consider buying it, then I'd recommend paying the extra $30 for the Amazon product, for peace-of-mind.

ASUS ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN 24.5” HDR Gaming Monitor, 1080P Full HD, Fast IPS, 1ms, G-SYNC, ULMB, Eye Care, HDMI DisplayPort USB, Ergonomic Design, VESA Wall Mountable, HDR10, World’s First 360Hz
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GL5TJQ...olid=2E863IC0KL4RY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it...
I see reviews for your Dell Precision M6800 in 2014. And according to Startech's website, DisplayPort 1.2 and 1.3 came out December 2009 and September 2014 respectively. Therefore I assume that your port isn't any more advanced than DP1.2, which I doubt supports 240/280 Hz. I also have doubts about the Nvidia Quadro K5100M supporting those framerates, even though I couldn't find "display support" documentation for that card (chip).

Sep 20, 2021
I see reviews for your Dell Precision M6800 in 2014. And according to Startech's website, DisplayPort 1.2 and 1.3 came out December 2009 and September 2014 respectively. Therefore I assume that your port isn't any more advanced than DP1.2, which I doubt supports 240/280 Hz. I also have doubts about the Nvidia Quadro K5100M supporting those framerates, even though I couldn't find "display support" documentation for that card (chip).

Thanks, then I suppose that I have to change my whole laptop :D ?

Thanks, then I suppose that I have to change my whole laptop :D ?
Sorry, I thought this question was rhetorical. Just in case it was honest-to-goodness follow-up question: Yes, you'd need a new computer to pull this off. Perhaps a desktop computer might be more ideal, as I'm not absolutely certain that even a new gaming laptop could achieve the framerate that you're after. I've definitely seen laptops that natively achieve 165Hz on their laptop displays but I'm not certain that they can push 240 FPS to an external monitor.

Sep 20, 2021
Sorry, I thought this question was rhetorical. Just in case it was honest-to-goodness follow-up question: Yes, you'd need a new computer to pull this off. Perhaps a desktop computer might be more ideal, as I'm not absolutely certain that even a new gaming laptop could achieve the framerate that you're after. I've definitely seen laptops that natively achieve 165Hz on their laptop displays but I'm not certain that they can push 240 FPS to an external monitor.

It was honest dude. Thanks again for your reply. Well I think the new ones have to support 240hz, 280hz since there are now monitors from last year running at 340hz for gaming. I think it should be a trend on new laptops/desktops these days. I think is mostly a Windows , cable or ports limitation.

Just for LOL's, I thought I'd link you to a phenomenal 1080p 360 Hz display. Personally, I'm more of a 1440p guy, but if 1080p is your jam, then this one is supposed to be pretty great, if not very expensive. A 3rd party has a listing on Amazon for $569.99, but Amazon product listing on the same page is $599.99. If you consider buying it, then I'd recommend paying the extra $30 for the Amazon product, for peace-of-mind.

ASUS ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN 24.5” HDR Gaming Monitor, 1080P Full HD, Fast IPS, 1ms, G-SYNC, ULMB, Eye Care, HDMI DisplayPort USB, Ergonomic Design, VESA Wall Mountable, HDR10, World’s First 360Hz
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GL5TJQ...olid=2E863IC0KL4RY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsB9G4eRokU

Reactions: jboscan
Solution
A desktop computer consists of seven components (eight if you intend on purchasing a CPU cooler). Below is just one example of some parts that you might consider. The CPU is sufficient for gaming, but you might consider a higher core count processor if you plan on regularly gaming + streaming. Two other factors: In the future a RTX 4000 series GPU might warrant a more powerful CPU to compensate for GPU driver overhead, and also AMD is scheduled to release a Zen 3 refresh, which are similar to current processors but with triple the L3 cache resulting in approximately a 15% FPS boost at 1080p. Unfortunately the GPU cost will be substantial, and even with this, Apex is frame locked at 300 FPS (or at least it was at the beginning of this year), and you'll only be able to achieve that on low settings. YouTube can accurately tell you what FPS you'll expect with any CPU//GPU combination.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
$272.66

MSI B550-A PRO ProSeries Motherboard (AMD AM4, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2, HDMI/DP, ATX)
$129.99
* Board does not have built-in WiFi capability.

RTX 3080
~ $1,500

Super Flower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold, Three-Way ECO Mode Fanless, Silent & Cooling Mode, FDB Fan, Full Modular Power Supply, Dual Over Power Protection, SF-850F14HG
$149.99
https://www.newegg.com/Super-Flower-Leadex-III-SF-850F14HG-850W/p/1HU-024C-00005

Other needed components: RAM + case + storage

Last edited:
Reactions: jboscan
Sep 20, 2021
Ok I think I found the issue. G-Sync.
You have to enable G-sync on the Nvidia Control Panel.

Unfortunately Nvidia Quadro series doesn't support G-Sync :) so that's why I have to buy a new laptop :D

It's GPU related then? because also I tried with HDMI and I get same results.
Kepler also only supports HDMI 1.4 which also only goes up to 1080p 144 Hz.

Ok I think I found the issue. G-Sync.
You have to enable G-sync on the Nvidia Control Panel.

Unfortunately Nvidia Quadro series doesn't support G-Sync :) so that's why I have to buy a new laptop :D

No, it's just a limitation of the GPU output, it doesn't support a high enough pixel rate for 1080p 240 Hz (or 1440p 144 Hz without custom timings). It doesn't have to do with G-Sync.

https://www.dell.com/community/Moni...-to-select-144hz-on-dell-S2716DG/td-p/4710119

Last edited: