Can't connect internet, newly built PC

Shizuru

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Hello,

First time I have built a PC from scratch and everything seems to have gone great up until connecting to the internet!

I am running Windows 7 64 and I have ASRock P67 Extreme4. I have downloaded 4 drivers so far: Realtek LAN driver ver:7023, Etron USB 3.0 driver ver:0.96_WHQL, INF driver ver:9.2.0.1015 and Realtek high definition audio driver ver:R2.51.

Connecting via Modem and ethernet port, is it possible I forgot something when assembling the parts? Same connection works on my family computer :S.

EDIT: It also says Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
have you tried rebooting the modem/router after you connected the new computer?

also it might be that the MAC address of the other computer is registered with your ISP and, therefore, it will not allow you to connect.

You should talk to the ISP because having a computer on the internet using a public IP is just asking for trouble. A computer should be behind a hardware firewall like a router.
That is not a "Router" that is a "modem". Two different things.

Modems are only made to connect one PC at a time to the internet, and they tend to lock their settings in to a particular network card using the MAC address. If you want to setup your new computer on the internet, you need to do a reset of the modem to clear it's saved settings, and then hook up the computer to it, and reboot.

If you want both computers on the internet at the same time, you need to get a router and hook that up to the modem, the computers get connected to the router.

the device he has is a Cable-Modem/Router one of those all-in-one devices

Shizuru

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Oh right forgot to mention it's one of those all-in-ones things. Thanks again for the help.

Other computer starts with .99,

Config file for the built computer (if it's okay to post?):

-

What is the config file of the network card in the other computer? Make sure to X-out the last three octals of the IP like you did before.

if your other computer's IP is something like this 99.xxx.xxx.xxx, it would mean NAT and DHCP is not enabled on the SMC and it is working in bridge mode as a modem only.

contact your ISP and ask them to help you in this matter since they have full control over the router.

ask them to enable enable the router portion (NAT and DHCP) of the device so you can connect more then one computer.

for your info you other computer has a public IP which means it can seen from the internet. I hope you have the firewall enabled. once they enable the router all your computers will hidden from the internet.

Is there a reason you would need the computer directly accessible from the internet?

Shizuru

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I don't need both connected at the same time actually, just need to run a few updates for the computer and I can survive with only one connected for the time being. But even when the new computer is connected by itself, it won't work. Just trying to at least get it connected :S.

have you tried rebooting the modem/router after you connected the new computer?

also it might be that the MAC address of the other computer is registered with your ISP and, therefore, it will not allow you to connect.

You should talk to the ISP because having a computer on the internet using a public IP is just asking for trouble. A computer should be behind a hardware firewall like a router.

Solution

Shizuru

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Tried rebooting both PC and Modem again in the meantime and it started working all of a sudden, heh. I will still look into the other problems with my IP however. :) Thanks again!