Question Can't Connect or Mount NAS Synology DS216J Suddenly

Feb 27, 2021
Hi,

I've had a Synology NAS DS216J in operation for a few years. I am using a Deco mesh plugged into the router. The NAS is connected by ethernet to the Deco via a network switch. The Deco is set to 'Access point' operation (not 'router') having read some other advice about this.

I just can't mount the NAS on either my Windows 10 laptop or Windows 10 desktop. It does connect via the DSM web browser interface.

I have had some help from Synology, but their tech support is now closed for 5 days apparently!

They told me to adjsut SMB settings on the NAS to sensure it was no longer using SMB 1. Have tried, it did not work.

I keep getting Error 53 in the Synology assistant, which can see the NAS, but cannot mount it as a drive.

Any help much appreciated as I need to use this over the weekend for a project and use via the browser is far, far slower.

Thanks,

T23

Can you access NAS normally if you connect it directly to the router?
If yes, do you have SMB 1.0 disabled or enabled in windows?
If you have SMB 1.0 enabled in windows, disable it.. can you still access NAS?
-If you now can't access NAS, then you didn't disabled SMB 1.0 in DSM.
-If you can access NAS with SMB 1.0 disabled in windows (NAS is connected directly to router), then there must be something wrong with Deco/switch settings (which I have no experience with).

Feb 27, 2021
Hi,

Thanks for your help. I have checked and plugged the NAS directly into the router This used to work fine for a few years by the way). At first it could not find the NAS (via Synology Assistant) at all. Then I disabled SMB 1.0 in Windows 10 and it then showed up in the assistant, but it still will not allow me to mount the drive at all.

So I cannot mount the drive either via Deco Mesh or directly connected to router, with error 53 reported.

SMB 1.0 is definitely disabled in DSM.

Do I need to change from access point mode on deco, to router mode and then anable port forwarding? I have read about this elsewhere. I cannot see any option to port forward when it is in access point mode.

thanks, T23

Feb 27, 2021
I was thinking though, even with the NAS pluged into the router, my PC is still attempting to access it via the deco mesh network (as both wifi and ethernet connect that way).

So although I can see the NAS via Synology Assistant, I can mount or access it.

TRENDING THREADS