Question Can't connect to 2,4 on Laptop after changing for wifi dongle

Nov 14, 2019
Hi,

Just buy a Wifi dongle (rtl8811cu) to replace an old Wifi card on my Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop that doesn't have 5ghz.

Now, I can only connect to 5ghz, not 2,4ghz. I see the SSID of my 2,4 network but it doesn't connect (password ok).

First I tought that something is wrong with my dongle but I try it on my Desktop PC and both networks work perfectly.

Here's what I did:

Check driver.
Install driver that came with the dongle (same one)
Desactivate my old wifi card
Uninstall my old wifi card
Activate my Guest network to try to connect on an other 2,4 ssid (not working)
Rename my old wifi card to "Wifi old" and rename my new one to "Wifi" (from "Wifi 2").
Reboot numbers of time ...

Anyone have more idea of what should I do? It's seems to be a Windows or a Lenovo problem.

Nov 14, 2019
I have an Asus RT-1900P .

But as I said, it works well when I connect it to my desktop which is usually lan connected and doesn't have an other wifi card

I have an Asus RT-1900P .

But as I said, it works well when I connect it to my desktop which is usually lan connected and doesn't have an other wifi card

I hava a similar model (68U) and this ASUS routers have the option to select the mode on which should operate: 2,4GhZ OR 5ghZ.

In this case, I suggest you that you log in to your router and check the WiFi configuration, could be possible that router is configured to operate at 2,4GHz while you new dongle is at 5GHz

Nov 14, 2019
My router works on both networks and as I said, it works well when I connect it to my desktop which is usually lan connected and doesn't have an other wifi card.

It's not a router problem then. It should be related to windows 10 or some driver problem since my other card is also a Realtek (N-7260)