Question Can't connect to ANY wifi connections

Prominent
BANNED
Oct 25, 2017
i had a problem with about the same thumb device

It turns out Windows10+TP-LINK driver LIE ABOUT THE SIGNAL STRENGTH. If you assume it's lying and situate your modem<>PC for better reception it may start working

assume the WIN10 signal strength widget is lying about signal strength on the TP-LINK

Prominent
BANNED
Oct 25, 2017
rhetorically - my TP-LINK says "linux" on the box. but on the internet the mfg says only V3+ has linux driver: i have 2.2. i tried all the recent kernel modules which all loaded but none created /sys/class/net/wlan0. why would i try all? the mfg also doesn't say which driver goes with which card.

so i get the "source" because the mfg says "linux drivers don't work please download" (asian company). but the linux drivers in 4.16 are definitely FROM that company. Next: i have a mess and no instructions how to get the driver into the quite complicated linux source tree: the directions are for "newest UBUNTU only" (which btw doesn't need the driver: it's already in as i said). the source is a mess of files and directories that must be hacked in - they left an obstructed mess so no one can (compete without their say so). (compiling by instructions is hugely broken - fix a few things - still more broken - just a red herring chase)

very frustrated with this OBSTRUCTIVE BEHAVIOR.

however at $13 and the fact it works on Win10 boot, i'm writing it off as "ok", i'll buy a real one (cisco maybe) when i get around to it - though i've already lost parts of a few days figuring out this TP-LINK linux was all BS. (i've loaded tons of devices and even some mfg source before i know BS when i see it)

asian devices these days say "specifications subject to change without notice". WELL NOT IF IT'S ON THE BOX. not in the USA you don't! illegal no matter what.

"specifications subject to change without notice"

Since when did FCC and Consumer law allow companies to print lies on boxes and say it's all "relative to change"? Since never. There is no umpire in the PC world right now he's off on vacation somewhere.