Can't connect to internet with new computer

AngeNoir0324

Notable
Apr 28, 2017
I just built a computer and installed windows, but can not connect to internet. I have a ethernet cable plugged into my computer and a CAT5e slot in the wall. There is another outlet in the wall, but I don't know what it is or if I have a cable for it. It is simply a white outlet. If I have to, i will go buy a cable from somewhere like best buy.

Thank you for anything and everything

Yes, download them to a USB flash drive from a working computer. Then go into Device Manager on your new computer and expand the Network Adapter section and click on your ethernet controller and then the Driver tab, and click on update driver. It should allow you to point to the location of your driver on the USB flash drive to install.

Also, try a working computer with the Cat5 slot in the wall to make sure it is active.

AngeNoir0324

Notable
Apr 28, 2017
So I just tried connecting my laptop to a "known" Ethernet cable. Turns out our hard wired desktop upstairs is wireless. Conclusion, the ethernet seems to be dead. my laptop will not register a signal from the Ethernet. What do I do? Will I have to buy a wireless networking card?

Unless you have a way to diagnose the problems with your wired ethernet ports in the house, a wireless network adapter may be the best solution for you. Of course with WIFI, your upload/download speeds will never be as good as a wired connection. Depending on how far your computer is from the router, and the construction materials used in your house, and the number of competing WIFI networks are in your neighborhood, the WIFI signal to your computer may be good, bad or somewhere in between. You can download Wifi Speed test software to test out your WIFI speeds.

Another option is a WIFI range extender. I use one of these with one ethernet port to get a signal to one room without cat5 cable.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX2700.aspx

Another option would be a powerline adapter. I don't have any experience with these, but have seen them recommended many times here on the forum.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear/netgear-powerline-networking/pcmcat257000050027.c?id=pcmcat257000050027&ref=30&loc=KW-4338&ksid=a2df2fbc-bb68-49eb-85b0-d32c6f890124&ksprof_id=401&ksaffcode=563831&ksdevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAjwytLKBRCX547gve7EsE4SJAD3IZV6aTaCZZCXGvNzaFwK_bjPy48CeUKxSlu0NRqG5AaiqhoCFWrw_wcB

Are there other wall outlets in the house that work?
These wires(in the wall) have to originate somewhere - maybe some type of wiring closet(probably close to where the internet comes into the house) where all the wires originate from. These wires(cables) should be connected to a switch/router.