[SOLVED] can't connect to internet

Nov 24, 2019
Hi there
I installed 2 windows 7 to 2 pcs.
Installed all the drivers.
and 2 pcs are connected to a modem via an 8 port switch.
now the problem is: although file sharing and printer sharing works fine between 2 pcs, one of them connects to the internet but another doesn't
the one with the problem has an "ASUS H81_PLUS" mainboard.
so far I have tried configuring networking and assigning IP address and ... i have changed cable and port location on the switch and any other thing I could think of ...
but the problem still persists.
also, I have downloaded and installed multiple versions of "Realtek LAN Driver " and as i said windows is fresh.
while 1 pc is ok, the other one is not connecting to the internet no matter what I do.
and by the way ... i connected lan cable directly to modem , but still no luck.
i think it is a "driver" problem, but the thing is i have downloaded my drivers from official Asus site .
Please if you have anything in mind that can help I'll really appreciate to hear it.

Solution
Hi there
now the problem is: although file sharing and printer sharing works fine between 2 pcs, one of them connects to the internet but another doesn't
so far I have tried configuring networking and assigning IP address and ... i have changed cable and port location on the switch and any other thing I could think of ...
also, I have downloaded and installed multiple versions of "Realtek LAN Driver " and as i said windows is fresh.
while 1 pc is ok, the other one is not connecting to the internet no matter what I do.
and by...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there
and by the way ... i connected lan cable directly to modem , but still no luck.
i think it is a "driver" problem, but the thing is i have downloaded my drivers from official Asus site .
Please if you have anything in mind that can help I'll really appreciate to hear it.
The reason only one PC works is that the ISP only provides one public IP address to a modem. To get two PCs connected you either need a router or to purchase more IP addresses from your ISP. Most people choose a router. Having PCs directly connected to a modem makes them much more vulnerable to attack. With windows 7 losing support in a couple months, you would have an unpatchable OS directly on the internet. It WILL get compromised eventually.

Solution
Nov 24, 2019
The reason only one PC works is that the ISP only provides one public IP address to a modem. To get two PCs connected you either need a router or to purchase more IP addresses from your ISP. Most people choose a router. Having PCs directly connected to a modem makes them much more vulnerable to attack. With windows 7 losing support in a couple months, you would have an unpatchable OS directly on the internet. It WILL get compromised eventually.
the same configuration worked before I installed windows, and by the way, since this is a local network there is no necessary for multiple ip addresses from isp.
and btw as I told before the new windows installation everything was fine.
i just can't get it to work this time although I am using official lan drivers

kanewolf

Titan
the same configuration worked before I installed windows, and by the way, since this is a local network there is no necessary for multiple ip addresses from isp.
and btw as I told before the new windows installation everything was fine.
i just can't get it to work this time although I am using official lan drivers
If it is a modem, then it isn't a local network. It is a public network. Your "modem" might be a combo modem/router, but based on the info you provided I can't determine that. What is the model of the "modem" ?

Nov 24, 2019
If it is a modem, then it isn't a local network. It is a public network. Your "modem" might be a combo modem/router, but based on the info you provided I can't determine that. What is the model of the "modem" ?
i have a router.
i have configured many networks like this before. i told you there is either a failure in lan socket in my motherboard or a driver problem.
but again i told you file sharing and printer sharing works fine.
even when i disconnect pc1 completely from the network since there is only 1 pc according to your explanation there should be internet ... but there is not.
and let me add this also ... since modem has wifi too. 3 mobile phones can use internet without difficulty.
i even checked it with a laptop, i connected my laptop to the same network via lan cable and everything is ok.
i told you .. there is either a software problem which i can't figure out ... or maybe the lan socket of my mainboard is failed.

kanewolf

Titan
i have configured many networks like this before. i told you there is either a failure in lan socket in my motherboard or a driver problem.
but again i told you file sharing and printer sharing works fine.
If that works "fine" then there can't be a lan socket problem.
Since you keep using the term modem incorrectly, you confused the problem. A "modem" doesn't have WIFI, a router does.
Check the ipconfig /all output from the two machines. Is DHCP enabled? What about the DNS? Do they have a default gateway defined?

Nov 24, 2019
If that works "fine" then there can't be a lan socket problem.
Since you keep using the term modem incorrectly, you confused the problem. A "modem" doesn't have WIFI, a router does.
Check the ipconfig /all output from the two machines. Is DHCP enabled? What about the DNS? Do they have a default gateway defined?
thanks for your replies, you are right maybe i am using the terms wrong.
for your understanding of my network map i attach an image showing my network
i have defined gateway and DNS server which both are "192.168.1.1"
i have defined ip address for both pcs 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102
same config works fine with pc number 1 . even if I add another pc (which i added my laptop) it stills connects to the internet even if i don't configure any ip address.
let me say an important factor that will help you understand my problem .
i installed a "PCI WIFI CARD" to this pc and now i have internet connection in this pc and still can share files and printer via the lan cable and switch . although this has solved my problem , but still i want to know why this lan adaptor on my motherboard can't connect to internet by itself while all other pcs can do this.
below my lan adaptor name : it is always "unidentified network"
I am off that place now, i will check dhcp and ip config tomorrow and will tell the results.

thanks .
ps :sry if my English is bad

Last edited: