Can't connect to local freenas server from a Windows 8 machine

roman84

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Hi,
I'm trying to connect to my freenas server that's on my local network using my Windows 8 HTPC but get the following error:

Error 868: The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve.

I can access the server fine on my Linux laptop (wirelessly on the same network). The HTPC is on a wired connection to an Asus router that is configured as an access point, and that router is on a wired connection to the Verizon Actiontec modem/router. The server is on a wired connection to the Actiontec router. From the HTPC, I can access the freenas settings no problem by just typing in the ip address of the server in a web browser window and I can see my plex server when I go into a file browser, but I can't establish a connection to just access the folders directly. When I try to establish a network connection to the server, the system sees the server, but when i enter my username/password, I get the error above. I'm at a loss here, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
roman84

Solution
If you can ping the freenas from the HTPC and you can go to an HTML page of it then you have connectivity.

I would look at firewall rules to see if maybe windows 8 is blocking the application.

In your NAS setting are you using computer name or ip address?
The most reliable setup is to have all of your hardwired PC's on static IP and then use the IP address in your connections instead of your hostname.
Tomato and DD-WRT firmware allows you to set a Static IP at the router instead of having to manually configure each computer (and then have to remember to make it automatic DHCP again if you hook it up to a different network).
If you can ping the freenas from the HTPC and you can go to an HTML page of it then you have connectivity.

I would look at firewall rules to see if maybe windows 8 is blocking the application.

In your NAS setting are you using computer name or ip address?
The most reliable setup is to have all of your hardwired PC's on static IP and then use the IP address in your connections instead of your hostname.
Tomato and DD-WRT firmware allows you to set a Static IP at the router instead of having to manually configure each computer (and then have to remember to make it automatic DHCP again if you hook it up to a different network).

Solution