[SOLVED] Can't connect to NAS behind unmanaged switch

Dec 29, 2019
Hey guys,

I'm new to networking and set up my home network like this-
I have a tp-link modem/router. I connected an unmanaged tp-link switch to the LAN port on the router and connected a NAS and my PC to that switch.
I set up static IP's for my NAS and my computer and can access the internet on all devices (wired and wireless).
Whenever my laptop is connected directly to the switch I can access the NAS no problem. Whenever I disconnect and work on WiFi I can't access the NAS or even ping it.
Would love some insight to this issue.
Thanks

Solution
Check to make sure a option called wireless isolation it not turned on. If your router has the feature it is generally in the same screen with the other wifi settings.
Dec 29, 2019
How have you set up your 'static' IPs? Did you actually hardcode them into your nas and computer, or did you do a dhcp reservation in your router?
I did both.
For my laptop I set it up as DHCP with manual address and put in the address I reserved for it. For my NAS I set it up as manual configuration and put in the IP address I reserved for it with the subnet, gateway and DNS.
In the router config I added the machines to the static IP lease list with the IP and MAC addresses

Dec 29, 2019
Check to make sure a option called wireless isolation it not turned on. If your router has the feature it is generally in the same screen with the other wifi settings.
I found the option for client isolation but it is turned off. I have another switch on my network that is connected to an Apple TV and I can ping in even on wifi so I guess the issue is either with the way I reserved the addresses or the switch itself because they are not the same model and not the wifi config

I did both.
For my laptop I set it up as DHCP with manual address and put in the address I reserved for it. For my NAS I set it up as manual configuration and put in the IP address I reserved for it with the subnet, gateway and DNS.
In the router config I added the machines to the static IP lease list with the IP and MAC addresses
I think this is the culprit. Do either statics or dhcp reservations, not both, and see if that fixes it.