Can't connect to public wifi

James_369

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016
Every time I try to connect to an open wifi, it just says it's connected, but there's no internet. I try to use the internet browser, but I don't even get to the redirect "terms of service" thing that the open wifis have.

I have Windows 10 with Norton installed. What problem is it? Is it a Windows 10 problem? A Norton problem? A problem on the computer end? or a problem on their end?

Solution
Run the trouble shooter, I think u right click the triangle or the network and trouble shoot it to see it something it wrong. If not that try connecting via Ethernet. I don't know it Ethernet will help although your saying public wifi. I believe ur issue is because I think it's called ur home group may be set to connect to work or home wifi networks but not public so it doesn't trust it or something.

Metalmario66

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
I don't know much about win10 but I do know on win7 it would say connected but show a small /!\ warning triangle. now when running the trouble shooter it said I believe DHCP (something like that) wasn't active or enabled, after enabling it I was able to play games online fine, so that fixed the problem for me. I've also heard about I think deleting a certain file and that's fixed internet connection issues for other ppl.

Metalmario66

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
Run the trouble shooter, I think u right click the triangle or the network and trouble shoot it to see it something it wrong. If not that try connecting via Ethernet. I don't know it Ethernet will help although your saying public wifi. I believe ur issue is because I think it's called ur home group may be set to connect to work or home wifi networks but not public so it doesn't trust it or something.

Solution

James_369

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016

I'll try that next time. Sadly I don't have an ethernet cable. Any other solutions in case the quoted one doesn't work?

Metalmario66

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
Not real sure, I'm not a wifi expert or whatever but the DHCP thing or whatever it's called fixed my problem. But maybe you'll need to change settings on your router. I don't know if this will effect anything but u could try disabling your firewall (don't recommend). Now the DHCP was for the network itself I think. So it was a thing I enabled for the network or router or whatever, not the computer I think.