Can't connect to the internet on a new built computer

lcescream

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
So I built my computer yesterday and miraculously it worked perfectly fine on the first boot up, I didn't mess with any of the bios settings, and I saved and exit, proceeding to enter my windows disk for the setup, i have it started up but I don't officially have the windows installed because I need internet connection in order to confirm something that they need me to confirm, so I tried connecting to the internet and it didn't work. It says there's no connections available when there is because I'm connected on my other computers, so I was looking around and people are saying that you need to install a motherboard driver for it? (By the way I'm using an ethernet cable) Theres an orange light next to the ethernet cable if that means anything. My motherboard is an asus z87-ar, if you need further information feel free to ask, but I just need to get the internet up and running and everything will be fine. If you know where i can get the driver for the ethernet cable if that is the problem then please link it that would be amazing, thanks a lot for the help in advance. Oh and also if you could put this as simple as possible for me, this is my first computer I've built and I don't know much. And if you could tell me what I need to mess with for my bios settings that would be awesome too.

mjmacka

Honorable
May 22, 2012
This is about as close as I can take you without knowing your OS: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87A/HelpDesk_Download/
Make sure to specify the correct OS. Install the chipset drivers if you can't find the specific driver you are looking for.

lcescream

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Its currently windows 7, but i can't upgrade it to windows 8 without internet, because it keeps telling me to confirm that I have to reinstall the languages or something on internet explorer, so thats why i need to get my windows 7 connected to the internet, then make the upgrade to windows 8.