Question Can't connect to Warzone2 via router but can with other means, how to fix?

Jan 10, 2023
IF YOU CAN FIX THIS YOU MAY BE A NETWORKING GENIUS

I'm posting this to multiple forums maybe I get a solution.
The game doesn't really matter (maybe it does?) but my problem is simple:
I get "Lost connection to Host (timed out)" error when I want to play this game via my router and my home internet.
The game works fine if I:
  • use a VPN
  • share a mobile hotspot
  • directly connect my home UTP cable to the pc and set up a PPPoE
However it doesnt work if I connect my home UTP to router, set up the PPPoE and connect my pc to the router.
Also it doesn't work on my Xbox Series X, I have the same problem there, it works with the same solutions but neither is a real solution.
VPN gives high ping sometimes and cant set it up for the xbox, mobile hotspot is unstable and gives high ping, direct connecting means only I can use the internet and we won't have a wifi so we cant use our phones and smart devices.

If you can solve this problem you are a true networking genius.

Here are the things I tried to "fix":
  • Port forwarding
  • port triggering
  • UPnP
  • release/renew IP
  • setting to google DNS and other DNS
  • using a different router
  • using different LAN cables

Dont comment these basic solutions, dont comment straightforward and easy things to test. I tested e v e r y t h i n g I could find.

Maybe warzone is <Mod Edit> with networking and I should let that game go?
Also again: the same problem applies to the PC and the XBOX so dont say things that I need to set up on the PC or set up on the xbox the problem is clearly around routing.

Thanks for the answers, in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2023
Did you try to disable IPv6

Was never enabled,
9HpfCIo.png

Jan 10, 2023
The recommendation was about disabling IPv6 on the ethernet adapter of the PC.
What DNS does the router use? Is it hard coded in the interface or is it using the ISP provided DNS?

I don't see how disabling the IPv6 on the pc would solve the problem since the problem also exists on my xbox. I'll give it a try though.
The router used both ISP provided DNS and hard coded DNS, neither worked.

kanewolf

Titan
I don't see how disabling the IPv6 on the pc would solve the problem since the problem also exists on my xbox. I'll give it a try though.
The router used both ISP provided DNS and hard coded DNS, neither worked.
What is the router? Some routers have "security" features which could be interfering.
When connected through the router have you tried doing a DNS lookup of a game server name? Then doing a ping to the game server? Do those two basic functions work ?

Jan 10, 2023
What is the router? Some routers have "security" features which could be interfering.
When connected through the router have you tried doing a DNS lookup of a game server name? Then doing a ping to the game server? Do those two basic functions work ?

I used an older D-link dir-809 before now I'm using a TP-Link Archer C20
I cannot find anywhere public info about the game server. If you could help me with the DNS lookup I would appreciate that

It can't be a dns issue because dns is only used when sessions are first opened. In addition most games use their own methods to communicate the IP address of the actual game server to you.
The errors would more be failed to do a initial connection. Note you need to change the DNS in the pc or xbox not in the router. The router acts a proxy and that can cause issues. Still it should not disconnect after the session is open.
The more common symptom is web pages fail to load or load extremely slowly when you have dns issues.

At this point you have eliminated all possibilities so something was not correct.

I has to be inside your house because it works if you directly connect.....unless it you just got lucky and it didn't disconnect when you were connected like that.

This means your router which you claim you have tried 2 or the end device which you also have tries 2. So everything is eliminated.

This is why it was suggest to disable IPv6 in the end device. IPv6 takes a different path though the internet. When you connect via vpn or pppoe generally IPv6 is not supported and it only runs IPv4.
It might not be that but then you have to figure out what was eliminated that actually causes the problem.

Start by changing the DNS in the pc it is simpler to test. You can try 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1. If that fixes it you can change it in the DHCP settings in the router so the router will give your pc that value instead of its own IP address.

The problem is many times you can not ping game servers even if you find the IP. Stupid teens will use ping commands to denial of service attack game servers so the game company has firewalls to block traffic.