Question Can't control fan RPM in BIOS ?

Mar 6, 2021
Hello everyone,

with my computer running up to 9 hours per day I've wanted to get some better cooling than just the stock case fan at the back.
So I've bought 2x Corsair ML120 pro: Link to the manufacturer's website
Here is my motherboard: Link to manufacturer's website
Ports for fans that I have on it are: 1x CPUFAN and 2x SYSTEMFAN. So I've placed the new fans at the top and the bottom of my case and connected them with a Y-Splitter to SYSFAN1 (the SYSFAN2 slot is occupied by the fan on the back): Amazon link

From the start is the RPM of the fans set to maximum 2400RPM and they kept spinning like that. Since I reckon that I dont need them to spin so fast, I've tried to reduce their speed in BIOS.
There I've got this situation: BIOS Screenshots
The hardware monitor shows me this situation whatever option I choose in BIOS: Screenshot hardware monitor
So, if I set the fans to <Auto> or <50%> they just keep spinning on the maximum.
I would like to set the fans to, lets say, 1400-1600RPM; I think it would be the optimal speed for me.

Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Did I miss something or didn't connect something correctly?

Thanks everyone in forward.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Do you have images of the splitter you've used for the Corsair fans? Also, are you sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard? Images for how you've connected the fans would also be of help. The other thing to note is that motherboards that were on the budget side of the spectrum and almost a decade old, did not have true PWM or DC support on the supplementary fan headers, resulting in either the fans revolving too slow or too fast.

Edit;
I just downloaded the manual for your motherboard. The problem is that you bought fans that aren't meant to be on the board. Apart from the CPU_FAN header, the other two are 3 pin, meaning your PWM fans are only getting a constant 12v of power, hence why they're at full speed. The solution is to buy a PWM fan splitter like the one Akasa or Phanteks make and pair all PWM fans(including the CPU cooler) to the CPU_FAN header or replace the Corsair PWM fans with 3 pin fans of any brand. make or model.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Mar 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Do you have images of the splitter you've used for the Corsair fans? Also, are you sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard? Images for how you've connected the fans would also be of help. The other thing to note is that motherboards that were on the budget side of the spectrum and almost a decade old, did not have true PWM or DC support on the supplementary fan headers, resulting in either the fans revolving too slow or too fast.

Edit;
I just downloaded the manual for your motherboard. The problem is that you bought fans that aren't meant to be on the board. Apart from the CPU_FAN header, the other two are 3 pin, meaning your PWM fans are only getting a constant 12v of power, hence why they're at full speed. The solution is to buy a PWM fan splitter like the one Akasa or Phanteks make and pair all PWM fans(including the CPU cooler) to the CPU_FAN header or replace the Corsair PWM fans with 3 pin fans of any brand. make or model.

Hello Lutfij,

thanks for your quick answer!

Here are the images of what im working with:
SYSFAN1 Motherboard slot
Y-Splitter; the end going to the MB
Y-Splitter; the end where I connect my fans to

I've just checked my BIOS version; it is the latest version based on the data on the manufacturer's website.
I'm aware that this MB isn't by far the latest on the market and im really impressed by its performance, because it's held out through 8-9 years now together with the CPU (I think).

I've attached photos of the slot where I've attachted the splitter and its actually 4-pin... I should be able to control them, right? Apart from that, I've tried attaching only one fan directly to the motherboard and I still couldn't control its speed. How can this be possible? The fans and the splitter are both PWM.