Question Can't control fan speed

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
Hello
Display device : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti on TU116-A GPU (with Arctic Accelero cooler attached)
Display driver : 511.65
BIOS : 90.16.20.00.89

My issue is, I cannot control my GPU fan speeds through Aorus/MSI afterburner
the GPU is running on very low fan speed but as soon as I move the fan bar to any position in the apps, it cranks up to 100% fan speed and gets stuck on full speed
Safe mode makes it run on very low fan speed
The temp sensor is working fine, checked it under load

I've tried :
Reinstalling drivers through DDU safemode
Resetting cycle (10s power button when PSU turned off)
Making sure the connections are good and resitting the GPU

Anyone has any idea on what the issue might be? Do I need a seperated fan controller?

Last edited:
What's the make/brand and exact Model number of your Power supply unit/PSU ? Have you also tried doing a clean re-install of any GPU OC tool like MSI AB, Aorus Master and others ?

Just make sure no previous GPU fan profiles are saved on your system. Try re-installing MSI AB again, and then check the fan speed. If the problem still persists, then there might be some other issue. Also, provide FULL PC specs as well.

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
What's the make/brand and exact Model number of your Power supply unit/PSU ? Have you also tried doing a clean re-install of any GPU OC tool like MSI AB, Aorus Master and others ?

Just make sure no previous GPU fan profiles are saved on your system. Try re-installing MSI AB again, and then check the fan speed. If the problem still persists, then there might be some other issue. Also, provide FULL PC specs as well.
Full specs
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/63dlsrvxg2DMfgi4lRTTpMA

PSU is Corsair VS550
I've tried reinstalling MSI AB to no avail, I change the bar to random fan speed setting but the GPU is unresponsive to the app and is running 100% fan speed

Apr 27, 2022
I have the same problem, with EVGA 1060 SSC 6GB, i just removed the GPU and cleaned the pc, after that its stuck to 25% and i try to adjust it just stays @ 100% fan speed