[SOLVED] Can't cool Ryzen 3300X below 75°C

Nov 30, 2021
Hi Guys,

I have a weird thing going on with my Ryzen 3300X.

I have a Phanteks PH TC14PE cooler mounted on it which is a fat <Mod edit: language> beast - 2x 14xm fans on a 1250g metal frame.

THe CPU idles around 38°C, but under heavier load (no matter if gaming, or cinebench or else) this cpu runs arond 72-76 °C, which seems kinda high for this cooler. I use HW monitor and Afterburner for the readings.
I tried mounting another 12cm fan on the cooler and another 12cm fan on the case and EVEN A FIFTH 12 cm cooler on top, with no side panels but the temps don't go under avg. 74°C under load!

I also changed thermal paste (Arctic MX-4), cleaned the blades, but it did not change the temp readings.

Even stranger, that when I run this thing with NO FANS at all, it peaks around 79°C, but the cpu cooler does't feel hot at all. Not even the heat pipes, I can grab them with my bare fingers, while cinbench is running. The back plate of the mobo is gently warm, not getting hot at all.

It's on a Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 mobo sitting in a Xigmatec Miduard II case.

I know ~75°C is OK, but wondering why cant get lower than that even with overkill cooling?
It seems that 3 to 5 fans can only make a 5°C difference wich seems crazy.

Any ideas why?

Thanks!
Filtro

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Well yes it does but not much. I dont see much difference having them around 1000 rpm or around 1500.
As I wrote before having 5 fans at full speed (pwm controled by the motherboard) vs having no fans at all makes a 8-10°C temp difference only.

I ordered an open case, I'll do more testing on this once it is delevered cause the noise also drives me crazy. My goal with this beasty fan was to cool this cpu with a low rpm / zero noise fan only (maybe go full passive when not gaming) but with these temps it's a no-go (yet)

Btw what cooler are you using with your 3800X and what is your peak temp under load?
i do have aio arctic liquid feezer ii 280, not really great mounting mechanism...and its a little bit higher above IHS...
Nov 30, 2021
Yep, I did. I was also suspicios about the older paste, but when I peeled the cooler off the cpu the paste was still nicely covering the whole lid.

Nov 30, 2021
Well yes it does but not much. I dont see much difference having them around 1000 rpm or around 1500.
As I wrote before having 5 fans at full speed (pwm controled by the motherboard) vs having no fans at all makes a 8-10°C temp difference only.

I ordered an open case, I'll do more testing on this once it is delevered cause the noise also drives me crazy. My goal with this beasty fan was to cool this cpu with a low rpm / zero noise fan only (maybe go full passive when not gaming) but with these temps it's a no-go (yet)

Btw what cooler are you using with your 3800X and what is your peak temp under load?

i do have aio arctic liquid feezer ii 280, not really great mounting mechanism...and its a little bit higher above IHS then i would like (low pressure)..but it goes 70C durring full 105w CPU load in cinebench (fan speed beelow 40dB at 1000rpm), gaming is around 40-50C as they are light threaded

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Oh yeah that is just great.
I have the same one on the rig I use for simulation on a 5800X.
Hi Guys,

I have a weird thing going on with my Ryzen 3300X.

I have a Phanteks PH TC14PE cooler mounted on it which is a fat ass beast - 2x 14xm fans on a 1250g metal frame.

THe CPU idles around 38°C, but under heavier load (no matter if gaming, or cinebench or else) this cpu runs arond 72-76 °C, which seems kinda high for this cooler. I use HW monitor and Afterburner for the readings.
I tried mounting another 12cm fan on the cooler and another 12cm fan on the case and EVEN A FIFTH 12 cm cooler on top, with no side panels but the temps don't go under avg. 74°C under load!

I also changed thermal paste (Arctic MX-4), cleaned the blades, but it did not change the temp readings.

Even stranger, that when I run this thing with NO FANS at all, it peaks around 79°C, but the cpu cooler does't feel hot at all. Not even the heat pipes, I can grab them with my bare fingers, while cinbench is running. The back plate of the mobo is gently warm, not getting hot at all.

It's on a Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 mobo sitting in a Xigmatec Miduard II case.

I know ~75°C is OK, but wondering why cant get lower than that even with overkill cooling?
It seems that 3 to 5 fans can only make a 5°C difference wich seems crazy.

Any ideas why?

Thanks!
Filtro
Your letting the motherboard control the CPU cooler fans their only going to spin as fast as needed to keep the CPU cool.

76C is still cool so their no reason for the cooler to ramp up the fans faster.

EDIT you have 0 cooling problems don't stress over nothing.

Nov 30, 2021
Your letting the motherboard control the CPU cooler fans their only going to spin as fast as needed to keep the CPU cool.

76C is still cool so their no reason for the cooler to ramp up the fans faster.

EDIT you have 0 cooling problems don't stress over nothing.

Thanks for your answer.

I see it the other way. I know that my temps mean no risk to the cpu or the mobo and I'm not stressing about that.

To achieve lower temps used Gigabyte's Smart Fan app to push the rpm to the max over 60°C so the fans are maxed out under heavy load.

But how come that a cooler designed to deal with 6-8- core monsters with twice the TPD can't hold this tiny 3300X below 70C???

And no, I'm not overclocking in any means, the only thing is use the XMP profile for my ram kit.

Thanks for your answer.

I see it the other way. I know that my temps mean no risk to the cpu or the mobo and I'm not stressing about that.

To achieve lower temps used Gigabyte's Smart Fan app to push the rpm to the max over 60°C so the fans are maxed out under heavy load.

But how come that a cooler designed to deal with 6-8- core monsters with twice the TPD can't hold this tiny 3300X below 70C???

And no, I'm not overclocking in any means, the only thing is use the XMP profile for my ram kit.
ive had before my aio 1600X with dual tower cooler 2x14CM fans (zalman cnps14x), and CPU was pushed to 180 watts at 70C (1.5v 4.2GHz all core...ye great CPU xD)
your cooler is there in comparison aswell...yours is better
65watt CPU at 70C with dual tower is a bit on high side

what are your voltages at which clock when you have 70C?

Nov 30, 2021
ive had before my aio 1600X with dual tower cooler 2x14CM fans (zalman cnps14x), and CPU was pushed to 180 watts at 70C (1.5v 4.2GHz all core...ye great CPU xD)
your cooler is there in comparison aswell...yours is better
65watt CPU at 70C with dual tower is a bit on high side

what are your voltages at which clock when you have 70C?

All settings are on factory defaults. But the voltages are depending on what I use for testing.
Under CPU-Z stress test on all cores i get 4.2GHz on all cores at 1.375 max VCORE - Temp is 74°C

on a 4 thread test i get 4.3 Ghz at 1.38 to 1.39V - Temp is 67°C
on a 2 thread test i get 4.35 Ghz at 1.39 to 1.4 V - Temp is 62°C

In Cinebench 23.2 however, I also see 4.2 on all cores but only at 1.33 V (I have no idea why it is not pushing higher) and 75-76°C

During games I see constant 4.35Ghz and around 70-76°C depending on the game and game environment.
I don't know how to measure voltages during games, but the peak values are 1.4 to 1.425 V

All settings are on factory defaults. But the voltages are depending on what I use for testing.
Under CPU-Z stress test on all cores i get 4.2GHz on all cores at 1.375 max VCORE - Temp is 74°C

on a 4 thread test i get 4.3 Ghz at 1.38 to 1.39V - Temp is 67°C
on a 2 thread test i get 4.35 Ghz at 1.39 to 1.4 V - Temp is 62°C

In Cinebench 23.2 however, I also see 4.2 on all cores but only at 1.33 V (I have no idea why it is not pushing higher) and 75-76°C

During games I see constant 4.35Ghz and around 70-76°C depending on the game and game environment.
I don't know how to measure voltages during games, but the peak values are 1.4 to 1.425 V
voltages are ok