Question Can't copy any file from my Desktop to external hard drive

Feb 28, 2019
Please help me i can't find a solution it's suicidal 😭 😭
note my desktop is running on windows 7(i don't use it much and it has not been updated since ages)

I switched on my desktop after 5-6 months and found that my system was attacked by ransomware virus most of my files pictures documents .mp3 .mp4 had .crab extension and i was advised to get a new hard drive so i was trying to copy few unaffected to my external hard drive and i noticed that if i tried to copy large number of files from my desktop to my external hard drive the copying speed would be good at that start but after few time it would decrease rapidly and the copying window would get stuck i do get a error message sometime that the file i was copying is no longer at the location (in my internal hard drive) but if i copy less number of files at a time it would get transferred to my hard drive without any problem so just to experiment what i did is compressed many files into a single rar file and tried transferring it and it got transferred without any problem but when i tried to extract this rar file from my external hard drive into my laptop it says "file is damged or corrupt "and even if i transfer files one by one from my desktop to my external hard drive then again i have to copy them one by one from my external drive to my laptop as if i copy many files at once it says "this is no longer located in drive:/(location) (in external hard drive).
my Laptop is running on "windows 10"
i am using Transcend (Storejet 1 TB)

please help me what should i do ? and as i have already copied few files to my laptop is my laptop safe ?
Thanks for reading

Last edited:
I will assume the problem is not a system with cheap low end components just banging away the best they can but an infected one continuing to do bad things where ever it can.

So, perhaps the " unaffected" were not ?
You will need to sanitize everything .Run a virus check on the new drive then reinstall windows. Then format the external drive. All data is lost in this scorched earth scenario but that's what happens with no back up. You can take a chance that some data files are not contaminated, because the extensions are correct, but that didn't work before so saving them now is very problematic. And delete the files from the external now on the laptop.

Reactions: Erin313

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
You can try booting it from a Windows install USB and copy the important files from there using CMD (shift + f10 on the install screen). A quick google on how to do that could already give you enough tips. Good luck!

Reactions: Erin313
Feb 28, 2019
I will assume the problem is not a system with cheap low end components just banging away the best they can but an infected one continuing to do bad things where ever it can.

So, perhaps the " unaffected" were not ?
You will need to sanitize everything .Run a virus check on the new drive then reinstall windows. Then format the external drive. All data is lost in this scorched earth scenario but that's what happens with no back up. You can take a chance that some data files are not contaminated, because the extensions are correct, but that didn't work before so saving them now is very problematic. And delete the files from the external now on the laptop.
Thank you for replying