can't create a partition on SATA hd with k9 mobo

orchidsofwrath

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I have a k9vgm-v from MSI, and am building a computer, everything works fine accept i bought a WD JD 80 gig SATA hdd for it and it detects it, (I know it does because I press tab in the boot up and it gives me some raid array business showing my model number on the hdd), Everytime i boot up from windows xp cd and then try to install a partition it says that it doesn't have an hdd connected. The BIOS says NOTHING about any SATA ports and i am lost and stuck. could someone PLEASE help me.
-Thanks in advance, the guys on these forums are awsome.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
There should be an option in the bios to configure advanced chipset options or to configure something like IDE configuration, depending on the bios that one has. In any case, there'll be a field on one of the pages (also including the regular PATA options) that enables you to change the SATA from RAID to Non-RAID or just IDE. The specifics should be explained in the manual.

Haven't used that motherboard, so I don't know for sure, but that's the basic way to do it. Windows is looking for a RAID driver to use that chip, even if you don't have a RAID setup. You can, alternatively, make the driver disk with the cd that came with the motherboard and a floppy. The process should also be explained in the motherboard manual.

blazk0

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
you must install driver's from floppy disk when you are trying to install windows at the start screen you shuld press f6 and lather you will prompted for the disk I hope that tshis is tge problem

Pappaous

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
After I had setup my OS I played with the SATA Raid and lost the drive in boot options. Had to disable SATA Raid (not the Serial ATA chipset), reboot then move the Nvidia SATA Raid off the boot menu. Juggled the order, reboot, then reordered back the way it was.

MSI K9N Neo