[SOLVED] Can't create a recovery drive on W8.1-64bit as files are missing

vsrawat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
c3lfrDW.png

My w8.1 is running pretty well, though with some hiccups, but I can do everything that I want to do on it.

How can there be so important files missing that it cannot create recovery drive? And it doesn't even tell which files are missing. How to know which files are missing, and where to get and put them?

Thanks.
--
Rawat

Solution
How can there be so important files missing
there's a good chance that files required were corrupt upon installation or have become that way over time.
this has always randomly occurred for different users with every iteration of Windows.
How to know which files are missing, and where to get and put them?
there's no way to manually scan for missing files, download those specific files, and then replace the current OS files with them.
you need a Windows repair tool for these such actions.

you can attempt to run SFC with fix parameters in place.
you can run 8.1 installation media and try a repair option.
or you can just perform a fresh reinstall.

may i ask why you are using 8.1?
are you using some work related software...
How can there be so important files missing
there's a good chance that files required were corrupt upon installation or have become that way over time.
this has always randomly occurred for different users with every iteration of Windows.
How to know which files are missing, and where to get and put them?
there's no way to manually scan for missing files, download those specific files, and then replace the current OS files with them.
you need a Windows repair tool for these such actions.

you can attempt to run SFC with fix parameters in place.
you can run 8.1 installation media and try a repair option.
or you can just perform a fresh reinstall.

are you using some work related software that better versions don't support?

Solution
if the issue with the restore files being "missing" is just due to corrupt OS data\files
you should be able to repair or replace them easy enough with the SystemFileChecker tool
and\or the installation media.
8.1 is far more stable than 10.
all i saw for a long time was complaints about how terrible 8.1 was for most users.
now i almost never run into anyone currently using it.

for the couple years i used 8 & 8.1 i had nothing but issues with the desktop, start menu, and widgets constantly freezing.
Windows installer failing and crashing while installing basic applications and drivers over and over.
constant crashes with reports of system file errors.
updates failing and totally corrupting the OS.
that was when i started keeping my own separate OS drive backups, which has become a common practice for me every week or so for quite a few years.

i switched back and stayed with 7 as long as i could until a lot of the applications and games just did not offer any further support.

but with 10 i've had a great experience, once i got used to the new Start Screen setup anyway.
have only had to fresh install when changing motherboards, not for OS issues.
have only had a few corruption and device initialization issues where the install package repair tools always worked to fix them.

hopefully 11 will turn out to be a better standard option for all of us out there...

vsrawat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
are you using some work related software that better versions don't support?

8.1 is far more stable than 10. And in case of problem, we can fiddle with it somewhat.

In some 6 years, I had to reinstall 10 for some 25 times, and it stops working. There is no message, no cure, either its start icon etc. stops working, or that running diagnostics goes on forever. automatic repair didn't restore 10 on any single time. Then, on the first sign of a problem, all my restore points disappear when I need them most. I religiously faithfully keep on making restore points.

Of course, 10 run well for some 3 years in a single stretch, but happy days were over and it sunk one day this jaunuary without warning and I couldn't revive it.

So, 8.1 is far more robust and reliable in compairsion. I have been using it for some 7 months now in a stretch, and earlier, after 7, I had used 8 for some 7-8 years in a stretch, before 10 eventually worked.

After fresh install of 8.1 or 10, it takes me some 2 full days to install all my software, change their settings, that is the boring and exhausting part of windows reinstall.

Thanks.