Can't create new user accounts - XP Pro SP2

Since installing SP2 on XP Pro, I can't create useable accounts. The
accounts get created but the profiles don't. I think it's an issue
with the security database, but I haven't found a way to fix it short
of reinstalling XP, which I am trying to avoid. Getting XP to install
with the Promise RAID driver is a pain I'd rather not go through again
if I can avoid it.

When logging in as the new user, XP displays an error that the profile
couldn't be loaded, and the account is being logged in with the
default profile. The defaul profile is read only and no settings can
be changed.

The error in the application log is 1500, and the Help and Support
Centre link for it is unhelpful. The error message in the log is:
"Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded.
Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is
functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network
administrator. DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified."

I've searched everywhere I can think of - in the MSKB, Google on the
web and newsgroups, but I can't find a solution. I've tried using the
user profile hive cleanup service but this has no effect. I've tried
following Microsoft's instructions to regenerate the security database
but this fails when followed exactly because the MMC doesn't create a
new database. The instructions are:

1. Open the %SystemRoot%\Security folder, create a new folder, and
then name it "OldSecurity".
1. Move all of the files ending in .log from the %SystemRoot%\Security
folder to the OldSecurity folder.
3. Find the Secedit.sdb file in the %SystemRoot%\Security\Database
folder, and then rename this file to "Secedit.old".
4. Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
5. Click Console, click Add/Remove Snap-in, and then add the Security
and Configuration snap-in.
6. Right-click Security and Configuration and Analysis, and then click
Open Database.
7. Browse to the %SystemRoot%\Security\Database folder, type
Secedit.sdb in the File name box, and then click Open.
8. When you are prompted to import a template, click Setup
Security.inf, and then click Open.

After step 8, Windows displays an error that the file could not be
found, I think.

I found a number of articles and threads on various disussion groups,
but no solutions. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - email

I am convinced that the security database is corrupted and the cause
of the problem, but I can't figure out how to resolve it.

Rob

the_harper@yahoo.com (Rob Geraghty) wrote in message news:<b7b9ab85.0504240037.3b85795a@posting.google.com>...
> Since installing SP2 on XP Pro, I can't create useable accounts. The
> accounts get created but the profiles don't. I think it's an issue
> with the security database, but I haven't found a way to fix it short
> of reinstalling XP, which I am trying to avoid. Getting XP to install
> with the Promise RAID driver is a pain I'd rather not go through again
> if I can avoid it.

I've seen a number of posts in this group from people with similar
problems after installing SP2, but no solutions. Has anyone seen any
solutions posted elsewhere?

Rob