[SOLVED] Can't decide between a TV and a montior or using a TV as a monitor - Help!

gibbo1992

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Hello everyone, I was hoping you would be able to help me as over the past week or so I have found myself well and truly down a monitor rabbit hole.

Long story short for the past couple of years I have been using my 4k TV as my main gaming display, plugged into it currently is a Xbox/PS4/Switch and my PC. The overall experience has been largely good despite windows and it's scaling issues and the odd bit of input lag. However my TV has recently decided to move onto the great living room in the sky and I need a replacement.

Everyone I've spoken to in the past has said that the experience of gaming on a monitor is much better than a TV and I have an office space that it would be possible to move all of my gaming stuff into that I currently have a 1080p monitor in that I use for productivity related things. But the problem I have is that I am not even sure if the added benefits that a monitor would bring would suit my use case.

The games that I play are 100% single player, and mostly fall into the RPG/Adveture game bracket; I haven't played any competitive multiplayer games since COD Modern Warfare (the original) and the last FPS based game I played was Titanfall 2(although I imagine that this will change when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out) so not even sure if greater refresh rates are something that would benefit me.

So I guess what im asking is:

Would 144hz/1440p provide a greater experience than 4k/60hz for my use case?
Does gaming on a "gaming" monitor actually provide a better experience than a TV, presuming pixel density and naturally sitting closer is what gives this effect?
Would a monitor still be able to support my consoles as well as my PC?

Would something like this - (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...-widescreen-led-gaming-monitor-mo-0a8-as.html) provide the best of both worlds? Or would that end up being something that ends up being more expensive for something that woudn't be as good together as buying two £550 versions of a TV and Monitor would be seperate?

My PC Specs are:
Ryzen 1700x @ 3.7GHZ
GTX 1080ti
16GB RAM

Cheers very much!

Solution
I have been through what you are going through now and ultimately went the 60Hz 4k HDR TV route as the prices have really come down. I currently use a Samsung 4K HDR TV (It has a great PC mode for lower latency) which I got on sale and it has been fantastic for my games which include the likes of Forza, Battlefield, PUBG and Projects Cars 2 etc. Watch 4k Netflix, You tube etc.. I haven't looked back....For your games it will probably be even better as FPS is not key...

If you are not a competitive gamer, then 60Hz is really more than good enough....for me at least. Hopefully others will jump in and give you there thoughts...

PS I use Overclockers a lot but boy that price for the Asus Rog Strix 43" 120Hz HDR monitor is a lot of...
I have been through what you are going through now and ultimately went the 60Hz 4k HDR TV route as the prices have really come down. I currently use a Samsung 4K HDR TV (It has a great PC mode for lower latency) which I got on sale and it has been fantastic for my games which include the likes of Forza, Battlefield, PUBG and Projects Cars 2 etc. Watch 4k Netflix, You tube etc.. I haven't looked back....For your games it will probably be even better as FPS is not key...

If you are not a competitive gamer, then 60Hz is really more than good enough....for me at least. Hopefully others will jump in and give you there thoughts...

PS I use Overclockers a lot but boy that price for the Asus Rog Strix 43" 120Hz HDR monitor is a lot of money!!! though I bet you it's good but way too much for me...

Solution
How close do you plan on sitting to the screen with the new setup? If it's typical "TV distance", and budget allows, in your case I would be seriously considering the monitor you posted link too. They call it a monitor, though at that size, it's same as my TV. I'd call it a "gaming TV" if anything. Would provide best of both worlds. Also using a standard 1080P 60hz 42" TV for my light gaming setup, but a good chance I'd look at one of those or something similar if I was to upgrade for living room experience. My previous monitor was a 34" Ultrawide (non-gaming type). Any larger than that belongs much farther away from your eyes.