[SOLVED] Can't decide between AMD and NVIDIA GPUS

connor9099

Commendable
Jul 4, 2018
Hello. After having my current PC for 6 years, i've decided to finally buy a new custom built PC, however i'm having trouble picking out what GPU to go with.
I'm stuck between a 2060 Super( would get the 3060 ti, but the prices are currently insane in my country.) and a Radeon 5700xt.
The reason for not deciding is perfomance and ray-tracing.
What i'd like to expect from these cards is 144fps avg. on competitive games like cod warzone, valorant, apex and other.
And atleast 60fps+ on AAA games.
From what i have researched so far it seems like the 5700xt blows the 2060 super out of the water in perfomance, but what is keeping me from making the decision is the driver problems with the 5700xt.
Also Nvidia cards are capable of ray-tracing and DLSS, where as AMD cards are not, so is ray-tracing and DLSS important to have for a good competitive and AAA game experience in 2021 and few years beyond?

Solution
5700XT , it's just a better more powerful card and they fixed the driver issues now. I have a 3070 rog strix so I'm not taking sides, I believe getting the best GPU etc no matter the company.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
5700XT , it's just a better more powerful card and they fixed the driver issues now. I have a 3070 rog strix so I'm not taking sides, I believe getting the best GPU etc no matter the company.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also Nvidia cards are capable of ray-tracing and DLSS, where as AMD cards are not, so is ray-tracing and DLSS important to have for a good competitive and AAA game experience in 2021 and few years beyond?
Straight up: Heck no.
Most users that use competitive settings or plays competitive has RT turned off = more fps.
RT is not there yet. The performance hit is still too hard and the number of titles supported... to say they're lacking, is an understatement.
Lil' ol' me has a library of 50 titles, and I don't think any of them support it.

DLSS is in a similar spot with RT as far as support goes. This feature is great in supported titles where performance is poor.
It's going to take several generations of RTX before those features are really up to speed with normal rasterization.

At the very least, I wouldn't base a purchase off RT and DLSS.

InvalidError

Titan
If you want 60+fps in AAA games, then forget about RT on anything less than an RTX2070.

For the rest, what sort of GPU you need for 60+fps / 144+fps in FPS games is heavily dependent on how much you are willing to lower details and possibly resolution to get there. My GTX1050 can do 100+fps in some games if I lower details to find out how many fps my i5-3470 can manage in it.

Given the spotty availability and somewhat crazy prices right now, the "best GPU" is whatever is fastest that you can get at the price point you are comfortable with.

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
I had a 2060s and it is perfect for Apex and valorant over 144hz.. But you should go for AMD 5700xt because it is significantly better. There is no reason to go for Nvidia in your case because even if you think about RTX , 2060s cant handle most games with rtx on. It is not powerfull enough for that.

connor9099

Commendable
Jul 4, 2018
Are the drivers really fixed? I've seen some people still experiencing problems with the gpu.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
I do not have a wide variety of games to test the drivers but I have had no issues of any kind with the plain jane 5700 xt in my machine. I am on an old ivy bridge platform though, so maybe if one is on new hardware....
I play a bit of SotTT, Hitman3, RE 2/3 and other older stuff and it is all gorgeous at 1440 and buttery to me. .