[SOLVED] Can't decide between two 1440p displays

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
  1. Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q 27" IPS 165Hz 1440p.
  2. Gigabyte Aorus CV27Q 27" VA 165Hz Curved 1440p.
I can't decide between these two monitors.
Both of them have very positive reviews by customers, youtubers etc.I love everything about these two.
First, I'm thinking that i love curved monitors and then i think that IPS will give me better image quality etc...You know, a neverending debate in my head.

I'm asking here for a game changer, if it's possible.

Current Monitor: Dell S2719DGF
Being replaced because of terrible dark room performance and because i need better viewing angles due to coronavirus and Zoom Meetings.(+ I recently found out 2 dead pixels).

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
If you want best viewing angles, then the IPS is the best choice. Personally speaking, I got VA over IPS a couple years back because back then IPS high refresh rates were experimental and super expensive, but now that the technology has matured and IPS high refresh monitors are cheap - you can't go wrong choosing that. The only downsides to IPS are backlight bleed and response times. Though that's a small price to pay for good colors.

If you were a gamer, then VA is definitely the way to go, during games you can't really notice the difference between IPS and VA. It's only when you have an IPS monitor right next to the VA that you actually notice the color difference, beyond that you would be completely fooled.
If you want best viewing angles, then the IPS is the best choice. Personally speaking, I got VA over IPS a couple years back because back then IPS high refresh rates were experimental and super expensive, but now that the technology has matured and IPS high refresh monitors are cheap - you can't go wrong choosing that. The only downsides to IPS are backlight bleed and response times. Though that's a small price to pay for good colors.

If you were a gamer, then VA is definitely the way to go, during games you can't really notice the difference between IPS and VA. It's only when you have an IPS monitor right next to the VA that you actually notice the color difference, beyond that you would be completely fooled.

Solution

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I got ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A 27" instead. Better picture than Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q have (incl. better HDR quality), better stand, less RGB bling around and cheaper. IPS to so no issues with viewing angle.
Actually this model, in my country, is more expensive.It reaches the price of a Samsung Odyssey G7.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019

Gaming is a priority for me, but i'm not looking to be the best player.Just enjoying the experience in any genre (Esports, Open World etc.)
But i also need decent viewing angles and decent dark room performance.
Is IPS's response times bad enough to have an impact to me?

Gaming is a priority for me, but i'm not looking to be the best player.Just enjoying the experience in any genre (Esports, Open World etc.)
But i also need decent viewing angles and decent dark room performance.
Is IPS's response times bad enough to have an impact for me?

Nope, the response rate for the IPS monitor you listed is 1ms, so you should be fine. Bad response times causes issues like ghosting, which is when you see a shadow trialing behind a moving image on the screen, like your cursor.

Actually this model, in my country, is more expensive.It reaches the price of a Samsung Odyssey G7.

Yep, in different countries shops may like to have different profit. Taxes differ too. In my country at last December VG27AQL1A was about 50€ cheaper than FI27Q. Now FI27Q tumbled down everywhere and it is 20 € cheaper than VG27AQL1A.

Maybe look into different shop?