[SOLVED] Can't decide if this pre-built is good or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtrGamer123

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Link to Amazon

I was initially about to build my own PC when I found this on Amazon: Lenovo IdeaCentre Gaming 5 AMD

It fits squarely in my budget with better specs than what I was going for, and cheaper than I would've been able to obtain otherwise (given current prices in India). I've never bought a pre-built before so I wasn't sure of what to look out for.

Key specs:
NVIDIA GTX 1650 Super 4 GB
Ryzen 5 3600
1x8 3200 MHz
1 TB HDD + 256 GB SSD
Free peripherals (no display)

I can't tell what the PSU and motherboard are, and that's worrisome, nor are there many reviews for it online. The Lenovo site says the GPU is upgradable up to 2060 and CPU to Ryzen 7 series. I believe they're selling the upgraded version here on Amazon.

Do you see any red flags? What gaming performance do you think I can achieve on a system like this (1080p60)? My initial target was to play Doom Eternal at 60 fps on high settings, but I don't really know what this is capable of.

EDIT:

Guys a family friend says he can get me a great deal on this PC (a 2014-ish Alienware Area 51 R2):

555-BCFD : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 @ 5GHz + Bluetooth
490-BCNN : Dual NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX( TM) 960 with 2GB GDDR5 each (NVIDIA SLI(R) Enabled)
429-AAMV : Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Reader
412-AAEX : Centauri CPU heatsink
400-AFOO : 256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 540 0RPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage
370-ABWP : 16GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133 MHz
338-BFPQ : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K (6- cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
321-BBLW : Alienware(TM) 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

I'm completely out of my depth here. I have no clue how 2 GPUs work together, or anything else on this list honestly. Assuming this is in my budget, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Solution
I'm guessing it'll be about the same cost or less. If the Lenovo is clearly better, that's what I'll go for. I don't know about waiting as the coming 7-8 months are the freest I'll ever be and I'd like to make the mot of it. I doubt prices in India will drop significantly in this period.

Oh, same cost is a dumpster fire; these parts should not be priced as similarly performing new parts (and the Lenovo's GPU is clearly better anyway).

The Lenovo is much preferable; just be cognizant of the fact that you're going to pay additional costs down the road when you want to upgrade.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Link to Amazon

I was initially about to build my own PC when I found this on Amazon: Lenovo IdeaCentre Gaming 5 AMD

It fits squarely in my budget with better specs than what I was going for, and cheaper than I would've been able to obtain otherwise (given current prices in India). I've never bought a pre-built before so I wasn't sure of what to look out for.

Key specs:
NVIDIA GTX 1650 Super 4 GB
Ryzen 5 3600
1x8 3200 MHz
1 TB HDD + 256 GB SSD
Free peripherals (no display)

I can't tell what the PSU and motherboard are, and that's worrisome, nor are there many reviews for it online. The Lenovo site says the GPU is upgradable up to 2060 and CPU to Ryzen 7 series. I believe they're selling the upgraded version here on Amazon.

Do you see any red flags? What gaming performance do you think I can achieve on a system like this (1080p60)? My initial target was to play Doom Eternal at 60 fps on high settings, but I don't really know what this is capable of.

Hi,

The specs look good on both computers but the second link is the best spec pc. You should get 60fps on high settings easy with this computer.

The only thing which I see which may need upgrading at later date is the RAM to 16GB. I would not expect the motherboard to be ultra-high end as they normally do spend a little less on this, but should not be an issue.

Reactions: XtrGamer123

XtrGamer123

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Hi,

The specs look good on both computers but the second link is the best spec pc. You should get 60fps on high settings easy with this computer.

The only thing which I see which may need upgrading at later date is the RAM to 16GB. I would not expect the motherboard to be ultra-high end as they normally do spend a little less on this, but should not be an issue.

Hi Daniel, thanks for replying!

The second link was just to show what the PC would look like if I chose to max-upgrade it, it's unfortunately not in my budget rn. I'm planning to buy the first link PC and maybe an 8 GB stick of RAM later like you mentioned. What gaming performance do you think I'm likely to get with that setup?

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
Single channel and slow ram is a big flag for ryzen performance.

1 stick of DDR4 3200 is fine for now since he plans to add another 8GB stick later.

@XtrGamer123 make sure to take note of the product number on the existing stick of ram, and buy an identical stick. Ryzen is very sensitive to ram.
the rig is good, only problem is that when you will have more money in 1-2 years, the next step would be to upgrade the GPU, but it will probably be limited or impossible because of the PSU. they are not upgradable on OEM PCs from Dell/Lenovo/HP, custom shape.

So a custom built PC will last you longer.

Single channel and slow ram is a big flag for ryzen performance.

Not so bad in overall. Motherboard have two RAM slots - he can purchase second RAM module for dual channel support later. Still have no idea do Lenovo BIOS support RAM overclocking and XMP profiles though.

The cpu/gpu balance is reasonable.

Yes. To OP:
  • Doom 2016 at 1080p@60 fps on high settings - yes.
  • Doom Eternal at 1080p@60 fps on high settings - not sure. Though most likely will work.
With low ssd prices, I would opt for a 1tb ssd and no HDD.

It is better, yes. However guy is from India, 1 TB SSD may cost him too many goats.

There we can see the same case from inside.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmfA95sQhM0

I'm curious about CPU cooler solution for Ryzen CPU. Probably stock Wraith Spire. I hope it does not have Wraith Stealth :)

PSU is basically the smallest one for this configuration. And seems not upgradeable.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
Particularly ryzen which is tied closely to ram.
Best to buy what you need up front, or be prepared to abandon the initial ram whenever you want more.

XtrGamer123

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
Particularly ryzen which is tied closely to ram.
Best to buy what you need up front, or be prepared to abandon the initial ram whenever you want more.

Maybe I could just buy a 2x8 kit and sell the one in this.

XtrGamer123

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Guys a family friend says he can get me a great deal on this PC (a 2014-ish Alienware Area 51 R2):

490-BCNN : Dual NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX( TM) 960 with 2GB GDDR5 each (NVIDIA SLI(R) Enabled)
338-BFPQ : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K (6- cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

I'm completely out of my depth here. I have no clue how 2 GPUs work together, or anything else on this list honestly. Assuming this is in my budget, what do you guys think?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

What is the cost of this "great deal?" A 1650 Super is better than a 960 and multi-GPU solutions are effectively dead and buried in 2021. An old 5820K isn't an upgrade on a Ryzen 3600 either. Unless it's dirt-cheap, I'd avoid this, too.

Just be patient and build yourself.

XtrGamer123

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
What is the cost of this "great deal?" A 1650 Super is better than a 960 and multi-GPU solutions are effectively dead and buried in 2021. An old 5820K isn't an upgrade on a Ryzen 3600 either. Unless it's dirt-cheap, I'd avoid this, too.

Just be patient and build yourself.

I'm guessing it'll be about the same cost or less. If the Lenovo is clearly better, that's what I'll go for. I don't know about waiting as the coming 7-8 months are the freest I'll ever be and I'd like to make the mot of it. I doubt prices in India will drop significantly in this period.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Oh, same cost is a dumpster fire; these parts should not be priced as similarly performing new parts (and the Lenovo's GPU is clearly better anyway).

The Lenovo is much preferable; just be cognizant of the fact that you're going to pay additional costs down the road when you want to upgrade.

Solution
As guys above said, branded PCs are quick ready-to-go solution with expiration date. Very limited upgrade possibilities. If you need stylish box which works here and now then branded PCs is a way. If you want a box which is upgradeable so will work for a decade, then build it by yourself. Both ways are valid.

Mentioned Lenovo is fine actually. However if you want to upgrade later, non-upgradeable PSU will be hard limit:
  • CPU replacement is only Ryzen 5 5600X, if BIOS will allow that.
  • GPU replacement only with more VRAM. Because better options demand more power than PSU can provide.
2 RAM modules - look like no more that 32 GB RAM is possible. Which again is Ok for home/gaming PC. Actually will not hurt to add second RAM stick with exactly same frequency/latency. Or replace module to 2 RAM module kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.