[SOLVED] Can't decide on a ram kit.

Nov 22, 2020
Hi guys!
currently on 4790K & GTX1080.

I just bought a 5600X and I'm looking forward to buying the ram kit.
I saw all these recent videos regarding dual or single rank kits and I have no clue what I should get.
I saw these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TRXZ9N/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1 get posted quite a lot.
I think I'll settle with 16GB but I actually saw benchmarks that show that dual ranked dual-channel kits outperform even XMP profiles kits.

Are the crucials Ballistixs dual ranked? Should I simply get 2 2x8GB kits of the Ballistix?
I get that 3600CL16 is the best spot but should I really go with the 4 sticks to ensure that I have this dual-rank stuff?

P.S
1080p 144Hz FPS all low player here.
interested in topping out 0.1% low performance
The motherboard I'll probably get is B550M Auros Pro according to what I've read online, that seems the best option in terms of price to specs. (Don't need anything fancy like wifi etc., just trying to max out performance)

Would appreciate any aid since I really don't know a whole lot about the subject.
Thanks!

Solution
If you plan to get a high end GPU and play @ 1080p Low then by all means get those sticks x2 and run them @ 3600.

Most of the time it will work but if it doesn't simply return them during the return window as they are only rated to work in pairs and you cannot ask for Crucial support in this case.

lynx1021

Distinguished
What board do you have for that 5600X? They are very ram sensitive, make sure you get ram off the motherboard QVL! The motherboard may need a Bios update for it to work, might want to get one that doesn't require a CPU to update the Bios. The B550 needs a F10 bios for the 5600X. https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-cpu
B550 here https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_b550m-aorus-pro_matisse_200918.pdf
OK, looks like the B550M Auros Pro supports Q Flash plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: avikef
Nov 22, 2020
What board do you have for that 5600X? They are very ram sensitive, make sure you get ram off the motherboard QVL! The motherboard may need a Bios update for it to work, might want to get one that doesn't require a CPU to update the Bios.
I have yet to purchase the board but after some research that my level of knowledge allowed my to conduct, I think the B550M Aorus Pro should do in terms of memory support to 3600MHz and such.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Dual rank will be slightly better than single rank and I do not think it would be much noticeable using GTX 1080.

So I would advise you to get a 2*8GB Kit with a minimum rating of 3600. Dual rank will only be significant when your GPU is of high end > RTX 2080.

If you have the bank to spend and need every bit of performance then
  1. If you plan to overclock get a 2x16GB dual rank kit.
  2. If you do not overclock get any kit with a minimum rating of 3600 it can either be single rank 4x8 or dual rank 2x16.

Nov 22, 2020
Dual rank will be slightly better than single rank and I do not think it would be much noticeable using GTX 1080.

So I would advise you to get a 2*8GB Kit with a minimum rating of 3600. Dual rank will only be significant when your GPU is of high end > RTX 2080.

If you have the bank to spend and need every bit of performance then
  1. If you plan to overclock get a 2x16GB dual rank kit.
  2. If you do not overclock get any kit with a minimum rating of 3600 it can either be single rank 4x8 or dual rank 2x16.
So basically getting 2 kits of 2x8GB single rank would be considered equal to a dual-rank 2x16GB kit?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083TSFB5C/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
I am planning on ordering this model (twice of it!)

EDIT: I am planning on snagging a 3080Ti when it comes out eventually.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
If you plan to get a high end GPU and play @ 1080p Low then by all means get those sticks x2 and run them @ 3600.

Most of the time it will work but if it doesn't simply return them during the return window as they are only rated to work in pairs and you cannot ask for Crucial support in this case.

Solution